Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:10:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2021 Coaching Carousel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 5647 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 10:23:07 am »

I'm kind of surprised that not a single HC has been named yet with so many openings.  For me it underscores the fact that there aren't any great choices out there.

You have to give the people up for those jobs a chance to talk to whichever teams they want to talk to and make a decision. Just because a candidate has talked with your team doesn't mean they are done interviewing.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2022, 02:14:32 pm »

Sean Payton is stepping away from the Saints. He is under contract so this sounds like a retirement. He can't leave for 2 seasons and then say "I'm back!" and make them fire the current coach.

The Saints gig is really not a good one. The team is in cap hell and have some sort of money laundeirng deal with Taysom Hill and you don't want to be around that when the IRS raids your practice. So, despite being very late to the game for a coaching search, they just aren't a desirable location. Someone will definitely take it if they miss out on the other gigs but you can forget about the Dabolls or Pedersens for this one.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2022, 03:43:58 pm »

Sean Payton is stepping away from the Saints. He is under contract so this sounds like a retirement. He can't leave for 2 seasons and then say "I'm back!" and make them fire the current coach.

The Saints gig is really not a good one. The team is in cap hell and have some sort of money laundeirng deal with Taysom Hill and you don't want to be around that when the IRS raids your practice. So, despite being very late to the game for a coaching search, they just aren't a desirable location. Someone will definitely take it if they miss out on the other gigs but you can forget about the Dabolls or Pedersens for this one.

$74 million over the cap.   How in the world did they manage to do that??   They are going to have to trade away pieces of their defense at fire sale rates.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2022, 03:48:22 pm »

$74 million over the cap.   How in the world did they manage to do that??   They are going to have to trade away pieces of their defense at fire sale rates.

They've been doing it for awhile, same as the Rams. They have to have the best lawyers and accountants because it seems like the bill has been due for half a decade now and they're still fine. Eventually, maybe even this offseason they will have a fire sale and start over, especially now that Payton is gone. Why delude yourselves into thinking you can contend with Taysom Hill? Think they have a few O-Line pieces we would be interested in.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2022, 03:54:36 pm »

They've been doing it for awhile, same as the Rams. They have to have the best lawyers and accountants because it seems like the bill has been due for half a decade now and they're still fine. Eventually, maybe even this offseason they will have a fire sale and start over, especially now that Payton is gone. Why delude yourselves into thinking you can contend with Taysom Hill? Think they have a few O-Line pieces we would be interested in.

They mortgaged their futures heavily and eventually, the piper will come to collect his due for both teams.  Especially the Rams with all their star power.   They miss the train this year, there might not be another one for a long long time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:57:58 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 08:42:26 am »

Looks like Byron Leftwich will coach the Jaguars, should be announced today.

Good hire for them.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 09:33:38 am »

Looks like Byron Leftwich will coach the Jaguars, should be announced today.

Good hire for them.
I was a Leftwich fan coming out of college but I don't know if I'm a fan of this. His best days were coaching Brady where we know that Brady was the one calling most of the shots. I hope it is the right hire because Jax and even Lawrence kind of deserve it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 09:41:06 am »

I was a Leftwich fan coming out of college but I don't know if I'm a fan of this. His best days were coaching Brady where we know that Brady was the one calling most of the shots. I hope it is the right hire because Jax and even Lawrence kind of deserve it.

Now we'll see what he's really made of.   And where better than the city where he was a starting QB for a number of years.   He's in a good position with a young franchise QB and the biggest prize in the draft.  The question is will they draft Neal to protect Lawrence or Thibodeaux to generate a pass rush?  Or trade down a spot and pick up more picks?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2022, 09:45:16 am »

He learned under some good people and I'm sure he learned under Brady a little as well. For the Jags, it's probably the best hire they were going to get. It's not an attractive job opening with all of their turmoil so they never were going to get Daboll or McDaniel. Buys them some goodwill with the fans too after the whole Meyer disaster.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2022, 09:24:06 pm »

Rumor has it that Brian Daboll is the favorite for the Dolphins job.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2022, 08:32:04 am »

Broncos are signing Packers OC Nathaniel Hacket to be their HC. He didn't call the plays but everyone praises him. This move was definitely done with Rodgers and Adams in the mind of the Broncos.

It would be a Peyton Manning situation all over again and the Broncos would be the heavy favorites to win the Superbowl.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:57 pm »

Flurry of news right now:

Dan Quinn tells teams he is staying with Cowboys. That seems to be the most shocking since he presumably had a choice of teams to choose from. Maybe Jerry Jones promised him the HC job if McCarthy doesn't win a playoff game this year?

Also, the Bears hired Colts DC Matt Eberflus. They interviewed Daboll twice so this makes me think he turned them down and they scrambled for their next choice.

I think we see some more hires before the day is done, the dominos are falling now. Daboll might pick between the Giants or Dolphins today. Depends on what team wants it more.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2022, 12:33:07 pm »

Also, the Byron Leftwich deal in Jacksonville has fallen through.   Apparently there was some language in the contract offer that Leftwich didn't like, mainly working with GM Trent Ballke who is known around the league as a real asshole.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:28 pm »

Also, the Byron Leftwich deal in Jacksonville has fallen through.   Apparently there was some language in the contract offer that Leftwich didn't like, mainly working with GM Trent Ballke who is known around the league as a real asshole.

Yeah, from what I see so far, he basically said I won't take the job unless Trent is fired. Once this is confirmed, the Jaguars are doomed and probably won't get anyone of worth to take the job. For a guy to turn down his first head coaching gig over this carries a lot of weight.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2022, 02:18:19 pm »

Being reported out of Jacksonville ... the Jaguars are reportedly “close” to hiring Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Pro Scouting Adrian Wilson as their new general manager at the request of Leftwich

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray