Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:52:34 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Would you kneel it out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Would you kneel it out?  (Read 3585 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: January 09, 2022, 08:14:22 pm »

If the Chargers and Raiders each kneel three times and punt every play, they both make the playoffs.

Would you do this?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 08:30:10 pm »

It's such a bizarre situation tonight that it's worth asking about for fun. They would obviously not do this the whole game but if this somehow went into OT and it got late, I can see the team with the ball with 2 minutes left doing this. The other team wouldn't object because then they would run the risk of missing the playoffs.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 08:37:05 pm »

If it kept Brady out of the playoffs, I'd offer the other team every penny I have to do it with me

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
DenverFinFan
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 10:41:19 pm »

Damn. I mean logically yes, don’t risk any injuries, basically get a free bye week and a guaranteed shot at the tournament.

I mean it won’t happen, no way the league would allow it, but I think it makes sense.

If it gets to OT and there’s 5 minutes left, maybe something like it happens.

Weird situation. Would be nuts if it ended in a tie. I kind of hope it does.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 11:16:58 pm »

No, teams would not do this.  It doesn't take very much imagination to think of what the NFL would do to two teams intentionally and obviously colluding for 70 minutes to engineer a tie.

Offhand: the game is determined to be a forfeit for both teams, LAC and LV both receive a loss, both teams are disqualified from playoff contention and PIT/IND take their place.  To be honest, by the end of one quarter of this nonsense, I would expect both teams to get a call from New York informing them of the consequences unless they shape up.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:22:12 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:26:04 am »

No, teams would not do this.  It doesn't take very much imagination to think of what the NFL would do to two teams intentionally and obviously colluding for 70 minutes to engineer a tie.

Offhand: the game is determined to be a forfeit for both teams, LAC and LV both receive a loss, both teams are disqualified from playoff contention and PIT/IND take their place.  To be honest, by the end of one quarter of this nonsense, I would expect both teams to get a call from New York informing them of the consequences unless they shape up.

That plus a fine, loss of draft picks, pressure to fire both head coaches, a class action lawsuit by the ticket holders of the game for a refund.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 12:13:43 pm »

If the Chargers and Raiders each kneel three times and punt every play, they both make the playoffs.

Would you do this?
No, but can I say that I would have tried that hard to kick that last FG that won the game? No I can't say that I would have been trying that hard to do that either.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 12:22:14 pm »

Is there anything in the rulebook that forbids kneeling it out?

Also, would the Raiders have been fined if they tried to run out the clock?  Or if they did not kick the field goal?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 12:25:54 pm »

That plus a fine, loss of draft picks, pressure to fire both head coaches, a class action lawsuit by the ticket holders of the game for a refund.
Not so sure about all of this. Don't teams rest their starters the last week of the season essentially forfeiting the game? What if both teams just pulled all their starters off the field and agreed to NOT score? Would the NFL step in then? Why would they? If you don't have to play your players if you have already made the playoffs then why should you have to play your players if you will make the playoffs if you don't?

I understand what you are saying, but I'm saying that I have a problem with resting your players for a week to end the season as well and that's been happening for years. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:28:48 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 12:46:41 pm »

I think this would be "illegal" per the rules of the NFL on a basis of collusion.

There's nothing wrong with sitting your starters if you don't need the win.  But to only sit your starters after agreeing with your opponent that they'll sit their starters is 2-team collusion and an unfair disadvantage to their competition.

I wouldn't have an issue with the Raiders having the last possession with time to run out the clock and then independently deciding to kneel to eliminate their risk.  That would be fine.  It's not trying to win the game, but it's a self-serving decision.

But to do that at the beginning of the game would be bad form.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 12:57:45 pm »

But to do that at the beginning of the game would be bad form.
Technically I was talking about the start of overtime, could be just sort of a wink and a nod with the other head coach, but still bad form, yes I agree. But would it get reprisal from the NFL? Not sure about that. I'm sure they would deny that it happened. I'm not saying kneel down on every play, just sort of don't play to win. That's pretty much what resting your starters is in my opinion.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 01:07:26 pm »

Technically I was talking about the start of overtime, could be just sort of a wink and a nod with the other head coach, but still bad form, yes I agree. But would it get reprisal from the NFL? Not sure about that. I'm sure they would deny that it happened. I'm not saying kneel down on every play, just sort of don't play to win. That's pretty much what resting your starters is in my opinion.

It's the wink and the nod that's the problem.  If you kneel in OT, you have to punt the ball to the other team and they can just drive the field and beat you with a FG.   It's not a self-serving decision not to try to advance the ball on offense unless you can run out the clock.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 01:27:00 pm »

Not so sure about all of this. Don't teams rest their starters the last week of the season essentially forfeiting the game? What if both teams just pulled all their starters off the field and agreed to NOT score? Would the NFL step in then? Why would they? If you don't have to play your players if you have already made the playoffs then why should you have to play your players if you will make the playoffs if you don't?

I understand what you are saying, but I'm saying that I have a problem with resting your players for a week to end the season as well and that's been happening for years. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me.

Even team resting their starters are generally playing to win.  Running plays, trying to prevent the other team from scoring.  And sometimes the team resting their starters even win.  Agreeing not to score is an entirely different matter.

Actually a closer situation would be two teams in last place playing each other with each playing to lose for the 1st pick.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 02:32:21 pm »

Even team resting their starters are generally playing to win.
Are they? Not really. Playing to win with backups is not the same thing as trying to win. If it is then like I said if both teams took out all their offensive starters and kept in all their defensive starters, there's nothing wrong with doing that and the NFL wouldn't do a damn thing about it. Is that what you are saying?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:35:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 02:39:19 pm »

It's the wink and the nod that's the problem.
How would you know? I'm not saying kneel down, I'm saying run plays, just don't try to score. Similar to when you are ahead and just try to run the clock. Be pretty easy to do and not really much way to prove you aren't trying to win.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray