Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:18:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Watson to the Browns.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print
Author Topic: Watson to the Browns.  (Read 15316 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2022, 07:47:20 pm »

Then why would they agree to it in the first place?
Because they thought the NFL would act in good faith when agreeing to arbitration?

When a head coach signs on with a team that has a GM with "final say on roster" in his contract, that does not mean the HC should expect the GM to overrule him every time they disagree on a player.  There is a bare minimum expectation of good faith in negotiation of terms, not simply might makes right.

In the last negotiation, the NFLPA thought that the NFL would respect the decision of an arbitrator, making it a minor issue that technically Goodell can overrule them.  Now that the NFL has made it clear that the arbitrator will only be allowed to be a rubber stamp for the league and will be immediately overruled otherwise, they will extract a pound of flesh for that concession in the next negotiation.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:51:54 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2022, 08:36:47 am »

You can say there's not much to bitch about now, but CBAs don't last forever.  This is a penny-wise and pound-foolish move; whatever the NFL is gaining in PR from being tough on Watson, they are going to pay for at the bargaining table.

There is no point in going to arbitration if one of the parties has the power to say "Never mind, I'm gonna do what I want anyway."  The NFLPA is not going to participate in this sham next time.

I would normally agree with you, but the NFLPA is one of the weakest unions in the country and I am convinced the Head of it secretly works for the NFL and not the players. They routinely get nothing. Hell, they just added a game without another bye week. This won't change anytime soon until they get real leadership.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2022, 09:58:48 am »

I don't really understand why the NFL is doing what they're doing -- do they just not want Watson to play to avoid the bad press?  I mean...it's something they're going to have to face anyway at some point, right?

It seems that arbitration was the "out" for the NFL.  They wanted more, but agreed to arbitration, so Watson comes back and they can say that they did what they could to fight it, but a deal's a deal.

I think everyone on both sides probably hopes that Watson just sucks and is out of the league in 2 years.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2022, 10:04:44 am »

I don't really understand why the NFL is doing what they're doing -- do they just not want Watson to play to avoid the bad press?  I mean...it's something they're going to have to face anyway at some point, right?

It seems that arbitration was the "out" for the NFL.  They wanted more, but agreed to arbitration, so Watson comes back and they can say that they did what they could to fight it, but a deal's a deal.

I think everyone on both sides probably hopes that Watson just sucks and is out of the league in 2 years.

I might be the most cynical person on this board, but I still truly believe this is about power. Roger is an egomaniac and wants to impose his will on the league. He is going to ignore the arbitrator and give out his sentence because that's what he wants and there isn't much more to it than that. He gave the arbitrator a chance to do what he wanted and they decided otherwise, so now he will rule his way.

Take a step back and look at how the NFL deals with suspensions. If you aren't even charged with a crime, you can get suspended for weeks or years. I know this isn't the Justice System, but how messed up is it that accusations without evidence can cost you millions and or your career?
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2022, 11:01:49 am »

Take a step back and look at how the NFL deals with suspensions. If you aren't even charged with a crime, you can get suspended for weeks or years. I know this isn't the Justice System, but how messed up is it that accusations without evidence can cost you millions and or your career?

And this is why the NFLPA has a good chance of winning if they file a class action suit.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2022, 11:38:55 am »

And this is why the NFLPA has a good chance of winning if they file a class action suit.

But they don't because they willingly gave that power to Goodell. It's one thing if he just decided to go outside the bylaws and do what he wants, but the CBA says that he has the final say on these matters and the NFLPA signed off on it. It's a terrible deal for them, one I personally feel was negotiated with under the table deals, but it is what it is.

The Players need to get their shit together next time and stop relying on suits to speak for them. Only professional league without guaranteed contracts and it's the shortest and most violent career span.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2022, 12:21:18 pm »

In situations like this (and Michael Vick before it), I just want it over.  I just want Watson to play himself or age out of the league so that this isn't hanging over everyone.  You don't really want to have a rapist celebrated on NFL Prime Time for the next 10 years.  It's just kind of a gross feeling.  I get due process and that he has a right to work and all that.  It doesn't mean I have to like it.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2022, 01:19:44 pm »

I think you guys are far off base .. MLB suspended a player 2 years and he's losing 65 million dollars for 1 sexual assault allegation

Click Here to see it

Watson has 20+ and the nfl arbitrator only suspended him for 6 games because that's as much as she was allowed to. the facts of the arbitration judged that he more like than not did commit the sexual assaults.

expect an indefinate suspension where he has to re-apply to join the NFL and could very well be denied year 2
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:21:31 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2022, 02:00:37 pm »

I think you guys are far off base .. MLB suspended a player 2 years and he's losing 65 million dollars for 1 sexual assault allegation

Click Here to see it

Watson has 20+ and the nfl arbitrator only suspended him for 6 games because that's as much as she was allowed to. the facts of the arbitration judged that he more like than not did commit the sexual assaults.

expect an indefinate suspension where he has to re-apply to join the NFL and could very well be denied year 2

From what I remembered, Trevor Bauer is appealing his suspension but I don't know the timetable. If it is not reversed, he will sue them, or at least that is what he said. His case is very odd in legal terms because I think they suspended him for admittedly engaging in very rough sex, so he isn't denying that but he says it was consensual and at that point, is this just kink shaming? As of now, he is suing the woman who accused him of sexual assault and 2 media outlets for defamation.

Personal note, Bauer is a sick fuck and so is anyone who enjoys violent sex. Go to therapy.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2022, 02:13:42 pm »

Almost everyone thinks he should have gotten more games and been forced to go to therapy. Regardless of everything else he has a problem. I have to believe since almost every show and news stations makes it seem like the 6 games is light it kind of puts pressure on the NFL to act. Everyone knows they have the power to do so if they don't it really makes them look bad.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2022, 02:45:13 pm »

Almost everyone thinks he should have gotten more games and been forced to go to therapy. Regardless of everything else he has a problem. I have to believe since almost every show and news stations makes it seem like the 6 games is light it kind of puts pressure on the NFL to act. Everyone knows they have the power to do so if they don't it really makes them look bad.

It's a tough call because it isn't like he had charges pressed against him and they were later dropped due to an out of court settlement. The police investigated and found nothing. Not saying that clears him because some things are very hard to prove, but to me it's enough to not be suspended for a year because it is literally just accusations now. Suspended indefinitely is extreme, even if by the CBA Roger might be allowed to do that.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2022, 04:46:17 pm »

The AP is reporting that Watson's people have offered an 8 game suspension and $5 Million fine to avoid a lengthy legal battle and even lengthier suspension. It is expected that the NFL will respond with laugh reacts.

This is far from over.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2022, 01:31:12 pm »

NFL and Watson have settled on an 11 game ban and $5 Million fine.

If the Browns go with Jacoby for the first 11 games, then they won't make the playoffs. Which makes it easier for us, so that's good.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2022, 05:53:44 am »

I looked up CLE's schedule to see if Watson will be playing against MIA; he will not.  In fact, he won't be playing against any AFCE team, so (from the standpoint of competitive football) it's all level playing field for the division.

But I did find it hilarious that his first game back is against... HOU.  I daresay that is why we are seeing an 11-game suspension and not 12.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:34 am »

I looked up CLE's schedule to see if Watson will be playing against MIA; he will not.  In fact, he won't be playing against any AFCE team, so (from the standpoint of competitive football) it's all level playing field for the division.

But I did find it hilarious that his first game back is against... HOU.  I daresay that is why we are seeing an 11-game suspension and not 12.

You could be right, as 11 is not a nice, even number. It will make a game between two teams very likely in last place seem interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray