Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tyreek says Mahomes isn’t as accurate as Tua
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tyreek says Mahomes isn’t as accurate as Tua  (Read 1712 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: June 13, 2022, 10:30:07 am »

In the first episode of his podcast, “‘It Needed To Be Said’ with Tyreek Hill”, he and Super Agent Drew Rosenhaus also stated that the Chiefs didn't get him the ball enough although he was 7th in the league in receptions. Tyreek brought up Tua's accuracy and said he'd rather have the ball in his hands on the run as it allows him to make big plays like in the Buffalo game.  He didn't say Tua was a better QB or has a stronger arm but I'm sure it could rub people the wrong way.

LOL ... I don't know about all these podcasts. Seems like trouble just waiting to happen to me.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 11:47:36 am »

Statistically he is more accurate than Mahomes.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 11:54:44 am »

He isn't the first guy to complement the QB of the new team at the expense of the QB of the old team.  He pretty much has to say this.  Compare, with the following potential quote, "Tua isn't a bad QB but he isn't as nearly as good as Mahomes."  That instantly makes him a cancer and causes animosity between himself and his QB and the entire coaching staff and team.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 03:13:34 pm »

In the same interview he said Mahomes had a bigger arm.

It's not even about him shitting on Mahomes; everyone knows Mahomes is the better QB in this league.  Tua himself would tell you that.  Hill simply pointed out one aspect that he thought Tua does better.  It's not that big of a deal.

Note: MIA does not play KC this year.

Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 04:27:03 pm »

Tua's accuracy was his calling card coming out of college and has always been his primary strength.

Obviously however there is a wide gulf between simply having elite accuracy and playing the game in the "Michael Jordan" manner Patrick Mahomes does.

That's not to say it's impossible for Tua to ever develop his game to the degree that he plays in that manner, however.  If Tua's norm (around which there would be expected game-to-game variation) was the Arizona game from his rookie season, he'd be at Mahomes's level right now.  That's the kind of game he needs to shoot for.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 06:36:41 pm »

I saw this being reported at I knew that at some point we'd be talking about it, but this seems like a non-story.

1) Facts-wise, it's probably true.  Tua is an accurate passer.  It doesn't mean he's a better overall player than Mahomes, but just in terms of pass accuracy, I don't think this is a scandalous statement.

2) Players that switch to new teams say good things about their new teammates.

I'm sure this will be made into bulletin-board material if we ever play the Chiefs, but this has no real-world meaning.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 09:51:15 pm »

I saw this being reported at I knew that at some point we'd be talking about it, but this seems like a non-story.

1) Facts-wise, it's probably true.  Tua is an accurate passer.  It doesn't mean he's a better overall player than Mahomes, but just in terms of pass accuracy, I don't think this is a scandalous statement.

2) Players that switch to new teams say good things about their new teammates.

I'm sure this will be made into bulletin-board material if we ever play the Chiefs, but this has no real-world meaning.

Chad Pennington was an accurate passer as well.   Weak armed QB's whose game is based on the short pass tend to have better accuracy measures.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 10:11:54 am »

Chad Pennington was an accurate passer as well.   Weak armed QB's whose game is based on the short pass tend to have better accuracy measures.

True, but Tua was one of the most accurate passers on downfield throws in 2021. Problem was, he only attempted 48 of them due to various issues. His accuracy has always been his strong suit dating back to college. That's great because hitting Tyreek and Waddle in stride will lead to huge gains.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:25:58 am »

True, but Tua was one of the most accurate passers on downfield throws in 2021. Problem was, he only attempted 48 of them due to various issues. His accuracy has always been his strong suit dating back to college. That's great because hitting Tyreek and Waddle in stride will lead to huge gains.

A good recent article on that:

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2021-three-qbs-playing-for-new-teams-i
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 09:28:25 am »

Was "various issues" the starting offensive line? and getting pummelled every time he dropped back for a deep route?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 11:16:16 am »

Was "various issues" the starting offensive line? and getting pummelled every time he dropped back for a deep route?

That and having no running game and only one WR.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 11:30:33 am »

it just seems like every time people trash Tuas deep throws they ignore the fact that he was playing behind a historically bad offensive line
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 11:35:43 am »

it just seems like every time people trash Tuas deep throws they ignore the fact that he was playing behind a historically bad offensive line

There was nothing to trash about his deep throws, only complaint would be the small number of attempts but the reasoning for that is what I just listed. I still don't think we will be seeing many passes traveling 30 yards in the air, more like 15 yard passes in motion that Tua and Waddle take for another 10-15. Last year it was just 5 yards from scrimmage so that's an improvement.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 05:42:24 pm »

"Accuracy" while playing in shorts at summer practices is one thing, doing it in a game in the fourth quarter needing a TD is another. 

I'm all for giving Tua this coming year to prove he is durable enough to make it through 17 games; and to show how good he is now that he has an all-star supporting cast on offense.  I really hope Miami doesn't have to use all of their draft picks next year to draft another QB.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 08:44:27 am »

Honestly I thought the accuracy thing was a given. Tua has always had the reputation of putting the ball on the money more times than not. The two things I got from this podcast is that active players shouldn't be doing podcasts and media will make a huge deal out of nothing. Thank goodness Mahomes and Andy Reid handled it well or this could have gotten much bigger.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray