Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:27:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  ESPN Announces new MNF team
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Do you like the new MNF team?
Yes   -4 (33.3%)
No   -7 (58.3%)
Who the hell are these guys?   -1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: ESPN Announces new MNF team  (Read 10735 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:47:27 am »

Monday Night Football will have a new broadcast team when it debuts on ESPN in 2006. 

Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will be part of a three-man booth calling the games on Monday nights next season and Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters. Kolber and Tafoya both reported from the sidelines for ABC during Super Bowl XL.

"I'm just thrilled to be the next person to take the greatest franchise in television sports history forward," Tirico said on ESPN Radio Wednesday morning.

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

"This Monday Night Football team enthusiastically embraces our vision for sports television's signature series. We will propel MNF into a 21st century, all-day, exclusive, multi-media event that will engage fans in entirely new ways. This team will develop great chemistry," ESPN Executive Vice President John Skipper said.

"Mike Breen is widely respected for his depth of NBA knowledge and his consummate play-by-play skill. We are very excited to provide such a spectacular forum as the NBA Finals to showcase his talents."

In addition, Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon will take Pardon The Interruption on the road on Mondays during the football season. The shows will air from the site of ESPN's Monday Night Football games.

"We look to the future with great enthusiasm and a strong commitment to enhance the presentation of the NFL and the NBA, two of our most important sports properties," ESPN and ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer said.

Al Michaels, the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football on ABC from 1986 through Sunday's Super Bowl in Detroit, will not return to either broadcast.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:49:33 am »

I'm looking forward to Tony Kornheiser being in the booth.

This means Al Michaels will do the Sunday night game on NBC, which I'm kind of glad to hear.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:52:42 am »

I'm looking forward to Tony Kornheiser being in the booth.

This means Al Michaels will do the Sunday night game on NBC, which I'm kind of glad to hear.

So Al Michaels is leaving ABC to go to NBC?  I thought he was staying with ABC.  This is interesting. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:58:03 am »

While it might be interesting to see Kornheiser, Theisman ruins it for me.  He is an asshat.

I drink your milkshake!
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:00:53 pm »

I should be in the booth.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:04:39 pm »

I have a feeling that there will be a lot more "fake reverses" in Monday night games, next season.

Angry

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:06:20 pm »

While it might be interesting to see Kornheiser, Theisman ruins it for me.  He is an asshat.

My sentiments exactly. I hate to admit it but I have actually enjoyed some of his interivews as of late but I can not stand him in the booth!I take it he has pics of someone at ESPN.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 12:10:10 pm »

I think that until we see how their chemistry is "together," anything is possible. I like Kornheiser from his PTI work, but have never heard him work a game before. Theisman, as Dave already eloquently noted, is an ass-hat, but I do like Mike Tirico.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 12:44:16 pm »

I'm open to Tirico, and I think it's good to get a black man in the booth, to help reach a broader audience.  I think that Kornheiser is kind of goofy, but I think that he can be a great personality that may really work.

Theisman doesn't have enough knowledge of the game to do color, though.  He can't add insight.  I think you need an ex-player or coach who actually has something to say of value.

I drink your milkshake!
crazy_scar_man
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Gaylick

321832691 mkilmurry
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 01:10:57 pm »

this is horrible. Al michaels and john madden were the perfect monday night announcers.

Theisman? oh ... my... god. I was hoping the networks were gonna wise up to his ass-hat ness and demote that som of a biotch to the sideline at least. Instead, he gets a promotion?

this is horrible, horrible news.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:14:54 pm »

I am interested in hearing Tony in the both as I too liked him on PTI! I like Tirico and think he will be a great addition. But like most I can not stand Theisman in the booth. I hated listening to Madden all of the time but I think Thiesman is actually a step backwards. Oh well I guess we will have to wait and see!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:17:48 pm »

i HATE THEISMANN!!!!! argh

however Kornheiser being in the booth is a shock, no one even mentioned that one coming!! i'm stoked, i love PTI, and i bet he'll be great.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 01:21:45 pm »

To expand on my remarks- I am not too happy about Theismann. I think he is more of a "safety net" for ESPN since he has been on their broadcasts for awhile. I think he will only last one season with this new team.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 01:22:19 pm »

So Al Michaels is leaving ABC to go to NBC?  I thought he was staying with ABC.  This is interesting. 

Did you read the article? They replaced him on NBA broadcasts as well.

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 01:23:36 pm »

this is horrible. Al michaels and john madden were the perfect monday night announcers.

Thats why NBC signed Madden and didn't give up on Michaels even though he had committed to ESPN. They will both be on NBC Sunday Night Football next year. Guaranteed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray