Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:16:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A different take on the draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A different take on the draft  (Read 6301 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:27 pm »

Let's suppose for a second that Indy doesn't win a game all year and has the 1st pick in the draft and that Miami ends up with the #2 pick. There's been some debate on whether or not Indy should draft Andrew Luck or not, but I'd like to go in a slightly different direction. Let's suppose you are the Dolphins and you've talked with Indy and you're convinced that they aren't gonna give up the rights to the 1st pick in the draft, even if you give them your pick at #2.

That can only lead you to one conclusion, that Indy is taking Andrew Luck, because the Dolphins would surely take Luck if they had the #1 pick and so Indy could take whomever they wanted at #2 other than Luck.

So that got me thinking. If Indy is gonna take Luck, what do you do if you're Miami?  Do you take Landry Jones or do you do something that I haven't seen suggested by anyone yet, do you see if Indy would part with Peyton Manning for the #2 pick in the draft?

Think about it for a second. It does make a bit of sense for both teams. If Indy is gonna take Luck, than obviously Peyton isn't in Indy for much longer. Why not get something for him now?  If you had the #2 pick in the draft you could go get some much needed defensive player and you can start Luck next year.  If you are Miami, you get the franchise QB you have been looking for since Marino retired. Granted you get him later in his career than any of us wants, but hey Peyton still has a couple good years in him as long as he's healthy. Maybe you would have to put a stipulation on the trade that Manning has to pass a physical first and agree to a trade with Dolphins or whatever, but assume you can put that stuff in place. Do you think Peyton has enough years left in the tank to build a team around him or do you have to get your franchise QB before his best days are behind him?

Would you do it?

Would you do it if you were Miami?

Would you do it if you were Indy?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:58:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »

can't see that happening unless manning forces a trade.

why trade manning if you can still compete for a super bowl now, at the same time giving luck some time to learn behind him?

for miami, you don't give up a #2 pick for manning now. this team needs too much for manning to immediately make them contenders with the time he has left. they are going to need a young qb with time to grow with the rebuilding job here.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:04 pm »

ESPN reported this afternoon that Indy is not interested in Andrew Luck, as long as Peyton Manning is healthy.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:11:10 pm »

why trade manning if you can still compete for a super bowl now, at the same time giving luck some time to learn behind him?
If Indy goes 0-16 this year, do you really think that a completely healthy Manning makes you a super bowl contender? Maybe you win 9 or 10 games next year with Manning, but who knows, maybe his best days are behind him and it's time to move on.

for miami, you don't give up a #2 pick for manning now. this team needs too much for manning to immediately make them contenders with the time he has left. they are going to need a young qb with time to grow with the rebuilding job here.
Are you sure? How many games would this team have won this year so far with Manning at QB? 2? 3? More? You don't become a SB contender, but at least you give yourself a fighting chance in games and maybe a couple more years to find a replacement.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:54 pm »

If I'm at #2, and Indy has taken Luck at #1 already, I draft Landry Jones and I'm happy...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:21:13 pm »

I think anyone giving up a #2 pick for Peyton Manning is ridiculous. Granted he is one of the top in the league, but how much longer will he be?
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

ESPN reported this afternoon that Indy is not interested in Andrew Luck, as long as Peyton Manning is healthy.
Isn't that like a head coach saying I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE two weeks before he flies to his new team.
I know this is florida but I wouldnt give up a second round pick for manning to retire here.He was great but who knows if he comes back from the surgery.Makes me think of Dan in his later years.
tubba marxxx
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »

If I'm at #2, and Indy has taken Luck at #1 already, I draft Landry Jones and I'm happy...

+1
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

What's to say Manning will ever be the same again? I wouldn't give up a second rounder for him until he proves himself healthy.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 05:47:47 pm »

If Miami trades the #2 overall pick in the draft for an older QB coming off neck surgery, then this franchise is dumber than I even thought.

Take a young of your own and build towards the future. Manning is great, maybe the best ever, but not worth the 2nd overall pick of the draft at his age. Not even close!

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »

And I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya as well. Bill Polian gave an interview last week saying he is very interested. The Colts are already going into "negation" mode if this report is true.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:24 am »

Yup, Jones is a beast.
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:51:09 am »

What's to say Manning will ever be the same again? I wouldn't give up a second rounder for him until he proves himself healthy.
I was talking to a friend who told me he knows a guy who's sister had the same operation as Manning and she can be walking and her leg goes numb and shes on the ground.It has to do with nerves.I don"t think Manning is coming back.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 10:20:50 am »

Since most of you say you wouldn't do it if you're Miami, are you saying you would do it if you were Indy?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:22 am »

If I was Indy and drafted Andrew Luck and #1 and then someone offered me #2 for Manning, provided I could manage the salaries I most certainly would do it. Who in the world would pass up having the top two picks in the same draft, provided they could afford it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:03:39 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray