Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:48:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 87552 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »

How is it that one guy has the power to overrule the reported majority?  Something doesn't make sense here.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't think 4 NBA teams have ever moved at once if that is what you are saying. If you are saying you have to look back to 1978 to find a total of four NBA teams that moved, it is just incorrect. Seven teams relocated during that period of time (while still discounting the Nets).
From 1995-1997, four NFL teams moved. At that time (read: 1997), the stability argument that you just made would have read like this: "Four NFL teams have moved in the last 2 years, while you would need to go back over 10 years to find the last NBA team that moved ('85 Kings) and nearly 20 years to get to a total of four moved teams ('84 Clippers, '79 Jazz, '78 Braves)."

It's all timing.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:31 pm »

But they had the votes to pass a bill that was JUST going to let the citizens decide.

That wasn't JUST all the bill did. That is what the bill did in regards to the vote down south. The bill also included tax breaks for sports organizations in Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona, etc. This thing was not just tied to the Dolphins and was more complex than just saying all it did was let South Florida voters decide on a hotel sales tax. That is oversimplification. It dealt with hundreds of millions of state tax revenue.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea of it passing. It affected me in two ways, the Dolphins and Orlando's desire to build a soccer stadium and attract an MLS expansion.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2013, 08:06:55 pm »

Nice little video on NFL.com here...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000167522/Dolphins-stadium-upgrades-put-on-hold
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:17 pm »

The Fins wanted to fix this problem with a slight upgrade that was pretty cheap.
Let's not get carried away. There was absolutely NO guarantee that a stadium renovation was going to fix anything either.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:47 pm »

Let's not get carried away. There was absolutely NO guarantee that a stadium renovation was going to fix anything either.

The bill had the Fins sign a 30 year lease/deal to stay in Miami in that specific building!!! Meaning from 1987 when it opened till the new 30 year deal ended the Dolphins were staying in that stadium a grand total of close to 60 years when all was said and done.

The renovations would keep them in the Super Bowl rotation. Get them in the NCAA Title game rotation. And bring those big soccer events to Miami.  Yes it would have fixed everything.
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:09 pm »

Not to mention Ross was guaranteeing a super bowl in the next couple years if he received the money or he would "Or the dolphins org." would pay the money back for the upgrade. Granted it was set for a thirty year repayment plan but it would have basically turned into a loan. I cant blame Ross I think he did everything he could to make it work. He still says he will not move the team while he owns it I just hope the Dolphins are not on the market now. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »

Eh, I've heard rumors about the team being sold my whole life. I hope it doesn't happen because I don't think I'd follow the NFL anymore. I can't be a Bronco fan.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

I see, so a winning season wouldn't help, but 3 million a year from the state fixes everything.

what the heck are you talking about? $3 mill a year? I have no clue what your talking about and you are missing the entire point of this subject. Mike Dee on PFT LIVE today said himself winning games and selling out every game would help sure but this is a bigger picture issue than just winning more games. Go watch the video yourself its up on their site
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:07 pm »

Eh, I've heard rumors about the team being sold my whole life. I hope it doesn't happen because I don't think I'd follow the NFL anymore. I can't be a Bronco fan.

not knowing how old you are but it has been sold twice pretty recently. Robbie family to Wayne. And Wayne to Ross.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:49 pm »

Found this write up online tonight....

Ian Rapaport reported on NFL Network that he talked with Mike Dee and Dee told him that Ross selling the team may depend on how the 2013 season goes as far as wins and losses, if Ross feels he has a playoff type team he may decide to keep the team for a few years. Dee was asked whether or not Ross will sell in the very near future and said it was too early to tell.

A bad season and Miami might be sold and moved in the blink of an eye. Considering Miami has the #1 most difficult strength of schedule in the NFL this season, that's not a good thing! Oh yeah it was announced today that Miami's property tax on Sun Life Stadium is going up $400,000 next year. There is a perfect storm brewing people!
DenverFinFan
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:28 pm »

not knowing how old you are but it has been sold twice pretty recently. Robbie family to Wayne. And Wayne to Ross.

Sorry meant sold and moved out of Miami, I'm 24.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »

what the heck are you talking about? $3 mill a year? I have no clue what your talking about...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Miami was asking for 3 million a year for 30 years from the state on top of the local money to pay for the renovations. That's why Miami was willing to sign a 30 year lease, to get 3 million a year from the state. At least that is my understanding. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the deal.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:07 pm »

^^ That was in addition to the 289 million they were asking for to fund the renovations.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:33 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Miami was asking for 3 million a year for 30 years from the state on top of the local money to pay for the renovations. That's why Miami was willing to sign a 30 year lease, to get 3 million a year from the state. At least that is my understanding. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the deal.

You are misunderstanding the deal. The $3 mill a year was in addition to the money for the upgrades. This wasn't some $3 mill a year deal, that would have been pushed through in about 10 seconds!! lol
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray