Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:21:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?  (Read 24955 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »

To answer my own question.  Yes, it seems that that tradition is ending at least until we get a new president. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 03:23:45 pm »

Yep...I think that, as soon as we get a new President that doesn't have such a bruisable ego, the traditional will be reinstated.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »

I think Trump was wrong to cancel the visit but I also think it's wrong for people to skip it because of political views. I didn't agree with Obama and I don't agree now. This country needs to get past the fricking hate and re-establish respect for authority or we will loose the country we have. Disagree all you want but still have sort of decorum about yourself.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 04:18:29 pm »

I think Trump was wrong to cancel the visit but I also think it's wrong for people to skip it because of political views. I didn't agree with Obama and I don't agree now. This country needs to get past the fricking hate and re-establish respect for authority or we will loose the country we have. Disagree all you want but still have sort of decorum about yourself.

I agree with you in part about respecting the office.  But the lack of respect for Trump as President is largely his own doing.  Trump never respected the office when Obama held it.  (see Birther) He ran a campaign with a very foundation of being disrespectful.  Little Marco, Pocahontas, chants of lock her up.  Etc.  And then demands a greater level of respect than any President has ever had.  No other president had demanded every single player show up and that any who doesn't should be cut.  Obama had issues with FOX but he never barred them from the white house briefing room because they said mean things about him. 

Trump had not respected the office, why should anyone else.     

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »

I agree with you in part about respecting the office.  But the lack of respect for Trump as President is largely his own doing.  Trump never respected the office when Obama held it.  (see Birther) He ran a campaign with a very foundation of being disrespectful.  Little Marco, Pocahontas, chants of lock her up.  Etc.  And then demands a greater level of respect than any President has ever had.  No other president had demanded every single player show up and that any who doesn't should be cut.  Obama had issues with FOX but he never barred them from the white house briefing room because they said mean things about him. 

Trump had not respected the office, why should anyone else.     
You don't have to respect the person to respect the office. The same goes for the Mayor, Governor, police and other authority positions. Lot's of a-holes out there but without the infrastructure we are doomed.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »

You don't have to respect the person to respect the office. The same goes for the Mayor, Governor, police and other authority positions. Lot's of a-holes out there but without the infrastructure we are doomed.

I agree you don't have to respect the person to respect the office.  But if the person holding the office doesn't respect the office, the infrastructure is doomed.  I didn't agree with Bush on a lot of policy, but he didn't disrespect his own office.  Trump not the Eagles are the ones disrespecting the office.   

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 07:52:40 pm »

While Trump is on office? Yeah I think so. You have to understand that these athletes can go "visit" the White House any damn time they want. In my opinion the offer was always to go meet the President, not just "visit" the White House. Apparently there's a good number of athletes who have no interest in meeting the President.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:59:08 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »

You don't have to respect the person to respect the office.
When the office is referring to you and your coworkers as "sons of bitches," that essentially becomes impossible.

And to answer Hoodie's question:  I think the champions of MLB, NHL, NASCAR, and college football will be visiting Trump as long as he's in office.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 10:02:36 am »

When the office is referring to you and your coworkers as "sons of bitches," that essentially becomes impossible.
No offense but that is a textbook snowflake answer. He didn't actually call them sons of bitches (he was speaking about a hypothetical situation) and even if he did ... that's not a big deal. Good grief man ... my coaches used to call use much worse on a daily basis. That's akin to a child saying "he said something about my momma". hahaha

Yesterday I did not agree with him canceling the trip but upon further review ... I think he made the correct call. Philly papers are reporting that less than 10 people had planned on attending and the number was dwindling.  Some reports that only Nick Foles and Doug Pederson were the only ones actually committed to going. If I was an Eagles fan who made the trip to see them I would have been pretty upset.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:04:55 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:09 am »

White house lied again.  Said it was because of anthem protests.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 10:36:41 am »

White house lied again.  Said it was because of anthem protests.
Where is the lie? Did they give another reason for not coming? I know FOX News used a false picture of the them kneeling but quickly retracted that. I hadn't seen anything the president said as false. The previous day CNN reported most of the day that the Supreme Court had "narrowly" ruled in favor of the Baker even though it was 7-2.  For whatever reason they kept emphasizing narrowly. 

“The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country.

“The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better. These fans are still invited to the White House to be part of a different type of ceremony — one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem. I will be there at 3:00 p.m. with the United States Marine Band and the United States Army Chorus to celebrate America.”

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 10:49:39 am »

^^^ Basically, that entire quote is a load of complete horseshit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 12:07:57 pm »

“The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country.

This is the lie. 

The Eagles didn't kneel in protest at any point during the season. 

His reason for cancelling isn't about protests.  It isn't about fans.  It's about him -- he doesn't want to look like a chump with very few people showing up.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 01:33:00 pm »

Although I fully know the administration is full of liars, I don't see an obvious lie here compared to some others they have told. First point, the statement never says any Eagles knelt. It does say that they disagree with Trump and that is why many are not coming. I doubt it was a singular reason but I have no doubt it played a part. Second point, it mentions the smaller group as reason for the change in ceremony.

There are inferences by many readers and omissions by the writers, we all know Trump hates being punked, but I don't see any outright lies.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:36:49 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 01:39:14 pm »

Although I fully know the administration is full of liars, I don't see an obvious lie here compared to some others they have told. First point, the statement never says any Eagles knelt. It does say that they disagree with Trump and that is why many are not coming. I doubt it was a singular reason but I have no doubt it played a part. Second point, it mentions the smaller group as reason for the change in ceremony.

There are inferences by many readers and omissions by the writers, we all know Trump hates being punked, but I don't see any outright lies.
You're correct. I don't believe he's lieing he's just mistaken as to why they are not coming. He believes it's because of the anthem protests when I think the reasons are far more varied and encompassing then just that.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray