Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:48:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  More non-news from around the league.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: More non-news from around the league.  (Read 10938 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 06:46:34 pm »

If this was the 90s or early 2000s, some team may have taken a shot with him on a "prove it" type deal.  But nowadays with the new awareness on domestic violence and the stance the NFL is taking, I have to agree with your prediction
Well Reuben Foster arrested again for domestic violence, the 49ers have parted ways with him.  His short NFL career is now over, teams don't want players that have repeated domestic issues, even if the first may have been somewhat fabricated.  Too bad.

You guys over estimate how much teams care about this stuff.  Unless his crime is protesting police brutality by silently kneeling teams only care if the guy can ball. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 11:02:43 pm »

Hoodie, your theory will be tested in the upcoming offseason.

The only thing the owners might see as More Dangerous than a player kneeling silently in protest of police brutality is a player deciding that HE gets to choose which team he wants to play for.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 11:03:10 am »

Hoodie, your theory will be tested in the upcoming offseason.

The only thing the owners might see as More Dangerous than a player kneeling silently in protest of police brutality is a player deciding that HE gets to choose which team he wants to play for.

My prediction: Bell will get multiple offers in the 8 to 11 million per year range but will refuse to sign for anything less than 17 million per year sit out and in 2020 only get offers in 5 million range and will a path that will have ESPN comparing his career to baseball legend Matt Harrington

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 01:42:28 pm »

"You guys over estimate how much teams care about this stuff.  Unless his crime is protesting police brutality by silently kneeling pissing off the fan base and sponsors while only slightly contributing to the product on the field teams only care if the guy can ball."

I'm not going to go with the obnoxious "fixed it for you" but I did make this statement more accurate.  

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 05:05:16 pm »

"You guys over estimate how much teams care about this stuff.  Unless his crime is protesting police brutality by silently kneeling pissing off the fan base and sponsors while only slightly contributing to the product on the field teams only care if the guy can ball."

I'm not going to go with the obnoxious "fixed it for you" but I did make this statement more accurate.  

Agreed.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 05:44:01 pm »

I don't believe that there is a conspiracy against Kaep.  Under normal circumstances, he'd have a job as a backup.  But backup QB is not a position where you want to have a big name.  You'd ideally never have to hear about the guy.  There is too much that comes with Kaep (and not just negative, but also, some people really like him and would want him to start) that it may cause turmoil.  I just don't think it's a risk that you'd want to take on.

Say whatever you will about Kaep, but he is controversial.  People love him and hate him both.  Those aren't characteristics you want in a backup QB, that you want to be quietly talented just in case.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 07:09:02 pm »

I don't believe that there is a conspiracy against Kaep.  Under normal circumstances, he'd have a job as a backup.  But backup QB is not a position where you want to have a big name.  You'd ideally never have to hear about the guy.  There is too much that comes with Kaep (and not just negative, but also, some people really like him and would want him to start) that it may cause turmoil.  I just don't think it's a risk that you'd want to take on.

Say whatever you will about Kaep, but he is controversial.  People love him and hate him both.  Those aren't characteristics you want in a backup QB, that you want to be quietly talented just in case.
Of course there's not. If I was an average to below average employee that was surrounded by drama would you hire me if you had better options? That's basically what it boils down to.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 08:47:52 am »

A few years ago there was a backup QB in the league with way less talent, that brought just as large of a sideshow distraction and whose sideline kneeling was just as controversial with many supporting it and many others feeling it had no place on the football field.

Didn’t seem to affect Tim Tebows ability to get a job.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:04 am »

A few years ago there was a backup QB in the league with way less talent, that brought just as large of a sideshow distraction and whose sideline kneeling was just as controversial with many supporting it and many others feeling it had no place on the football field.

That's because God was on his side...duh

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 11:38:51 am »

No one stopped coming to games or buying merchandise because of him. In fact ... Tebow increased sales and didn't cause problems with sponsors or fans.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »

Does he still have that job? Or for that matter, any other job in the NFL? Thanks, you just proved a valuable point. Unless of course you think that the league conspired against Tebow for his religion. Sounds illegal to me, maybe he should sue. You think?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2018, 03:41:30 am »

I don't believe that there is a conspiracy against Kaep.  Under normal circumstances, he'd have a job as a backup.  But backup QB is not a position where you want to have a big name.  You'd ideally never have to hear about the guy.

Running a dogfighting ring and killing the dogs that underperformed also "pissed off the fan base and sponsors."  But Vick didn't piss off the owners, so...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:45:39 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 09:39:03 am »

If it were up to me, Vick would have never played a down, he's a disgusting human being.  Having said that, Vick was somewhat elite when he went to jail, was starting caliber and had a career, pro bowl year with the Eagles.  Kaep is a back up who isn't very good.  You're missing the part where a back up QB isn't worth the headache.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 04:30:15 pm »

Vick's Pro Bowl season with the Eagles doesn't count, as the proper comparison would be to Kaep's season after he was brought back into the league (which hasn't happened).  Who can say how Kaep would do if he comes back?

Now, as to performance...

Vick's last season before jail:
204/388 (52.6%), 2474yds, 20TD, 13INT, 75.7 passer rating, 4.59 ANY/A

Kaep's last season:
196/331 (59.2%), 2241yds, 16TD, 4INT, 90.7 passer rating, 5.92 ANY/A

And obviously, there are many QBs with backup (or even starting!) jobs with worse stats than either of these.  Performance isn't the reason; Kaep made the owners angry.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 05:31:00 pm »

Performance isn't the reason; Kaep made the owners angry.

I don't think the majority of owners are angry at Kaep; like everything else it's about money for them.  At the end of the day Kaep is going to cost them more money than he's worth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray