Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:43:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Per ESPN: Tank for Tua In Effect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Per ESPN: Tank for Tua In Effect  (Read 7114 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »

I think spider was being sarcastic. At least I hope he was.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 04:03:38 pm »

Yes.
Miami already tried hiring the only coach that's ever made that plan work.  And he was not successful.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 08:44:40 pm »

Yes.
Miami already tried hiring the only coach that's ever made that plan work.  And he was not successful.

The question is, why?   Why couldn't he succeed in Miami like he did in Dallas?

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:09 am »

Absolutely not... He's one of the main reasons this franchise has been in a 20+ year decline.   DISLIKE BUTTON X1000000000000000000000

Isn't this the whole truth. I'll admit I was on this train from the station when they hired JJ

He may have put together a great defense, along with HOF'er Jason Taylor and soon to be Zach Thomas (crosses fingers), he completely dismantled that offense and ruined Marino in the twilight of his career

Guy still living off that Herschel Walker trade

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:49 am »

We were very competitive long after Jimmy left. Other than him leaving before he won anything I really don't get the hate for Jimmy. OK ... The Wanny gift sucked pretty badly but that was on ownership as well.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37:42 am »

Jimmy should have given it another couple of years, that team was stacked.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 11:07:20 am »

The question is, why?   Why couldn't he succeed in Miami like he did in Dallas?
Because it wasn't the same situation and because he caught lightning in a bottle in Dallas. I think him just coming from coaching the University of Miami and them being a national contender really helped him in the draft. He was familiar with a lot of the college players and did a great job in the draft thanks in part to the Vikings and their love affair with an overrated Herschel Walker although to be fair at the time most people lauded the trade (I was not one of them). Things just worked out perfectly for him in Dallas and that's tough to repeat. I also think that after that run Jimmy was worn out a bit and was ready to retire soon after getting to Miami and realizing that it wasn't going to be easy to just repeat what he had done in Dallas.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 11:49:41 am »

Am I overreaching to say that the Dolphins are in the mess that they're in now because of JJ and Wanny? Isn't that one-two punch of JJ and Wanny the genesis of all of the Dolphins' woes?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 02:12:27 pm »

Am I overreaching to say that the Dolphins are in the mess that they're in now because of JJ and Wanny? Isn't that one-two punch of JJ and Wanny the genesis of all of the Dolphins' woes?

Wanny YES, JJ no.  JJ just wanted out of coaching, he didn't hurt the Dolphins (unless you want to count him saddling the Dolphins with Wanny).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 02:56:38 pm »

Yeah you are over reaching.  At most a good or bad decision will affect a team for 4 or 5 years, often much less.  The impact of a bad decision only lasts until you can cut the guy and clear the dead money.  The impact of drafting a pro bowler in the 5th round becomes trivial once you need to sign his second contract and pay him fair market value.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 04:57:11 pm »

Actually, I would like to issue a correction.

At no point did JJ tank DAL in the hopes of improving draft position.  He inherited the #1 pick (Aikman) who started during JJ's first season of 1-15, and every year from there out, JJ's Cowboys got better or won the title.  In fact, DAL didn't even get the #1 overall pick after finishing 1-15, because they drafted Steve Walsh in the first round of the supplemental draft the year before (in the same draft they got Aikman).

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 08:43:14 pm »

Actually, I would like to issue a correction.

At no point did JJ tank DAL in the hopes of improving draft position.  He inherited the #1 pick (Aikman) who started during JJ's first season of 1-15, and every year from there out, JJ's Cowboys got better or won the title.  In fact, DAL didn't even get the #1 overall pick after finishing 1-15, because they drafted Steve Walsh in the first round of the supplemental draft the year before (in the same draft they got Aikman).
No but he did trade away Dallas' best player to stockpile picks which was part of your initial question.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 09:05:30 pm »

There's nothing necessarily wrong with trading away a player to get a bunch of picks.  The key part is intentionally trying to get worse, something that JJ never did.  And I submit that intentionally trying to get worse has never worked in the NFL, especially not over the long term.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 10:27:37 am »

There's nothing necessarily wrong with trading away a player to get a bunch of picks.  The key part is intentionally trying to get worse, something that JJ never did.  And I submit that intentionally trying to get worse has never worked in the NFL, especially not over the long term.
So you're saying that if Miami trades away Xavian Howard and Minkah Fitzpatrick for draft picks, goes say 2-14 next year and the following year drafts Tua with the first pick in the draft there's nothing inherently wrong with that as long as they werent intentionally trying to get worse.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:29:34 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »

Well, yes.  The thread specifically references tanking for Tua, right?

Not too long ago, MIA traded away their best WR (Chambers), their best DE (JT), their best WR again (Marshall), and their best CB (Vontae). None of those were an attempt to tank, and neither was the Walker trade in DAL (because DAL didn't even have a first round pick).

There's a huge difference between trying to tank and trying to get picks for a player that's not in your long term plans.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray