Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:35:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Report: Dolphins prefer to trade Reshad Jones
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Report: Dolphins prefer to trade Reshad Jones  (Read 5551 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:19:09 am »

Word is coach isn't happy that he has no desire to learn the playbook. As well, although Brain Flores said everyone was starting with a clean sheet it doesn't take much to link in Jone's refusal to go back into the game last season with his absence around the Dolphins facility and NOT being a team player. This situation will quickly show what kind of coach Flores intends to be as "the Patriot way" is all about the team being bigger than the player.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article229734919.html

So why are the Dolphins willing to trade him? Because of age (31) and salary and the determination he’s likely not a longterm piece. And though they would never admit this publicly, the Dolphins have told people that the new regime was very unhappy that Jones refused to go back in the Jets game last November after being told earlier in the week that he would not be playing every snap but instead used in a rotation.

That type of behavior would be unacceptable to new coach Brian Flores, who values putting the team well above anything else. Jones’ decision to stay away from the team’s voluntary offseason practices also runs counter to Flores’ team-first approach. Jones is the only player who isn’t attending OTAs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:24:05 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:10 pm »

The key component of all that is whether or not the "not part of the team's long term plans" statement is true.  If he truly is not part of the team's long term plans, then they should trade him as long as they get at least a decent return on their investment.  This is not going to be a one or two year rebuild.  So anyone over 30 who can get a decent return to the team via trade should be on the trading block.  By the time that the Dolphins are ready to be a playoff contender, Jones will be in the decline of his career. 
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:05 pm »

At this point, what's he worth?

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 02:07:53 pm »

At this point, what's he worth?

Whatever he's worth, you take it.   The Bucs made a big mistake not trading G-Mac before they released him.   Thankfully, they picked up Suh to replace him.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 02:25:12 pm »

How much is another team going to give you for a guy that isn’t a team player, has a huge salary and is on the wrong side of 30? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:27:59 pm »

How much is another team going to give you for a guy that isn’t a team player, has a huge salary and is on the wrong side of 30? 
That's the biggest issue I see too. Depending on how much they want to jettison him we will find out what we are willing to give up to get rid of him. He's a good player but if he's going to be a cancer to others who are trying then the team may make any deal.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »

That's the biggest issue I see too. Depending on how much they want to jettison him we will find out what we are willing to give up to get rid of him. He's a good player but if he's going to be a cancer to others who are trying then the team may make any deal.
Unless I missed something, he didn't seem to be a problem in previous seasons. Wonder what happened to him. Seems we've had this type of thing happen to some of our good players going all the way back to the Philbin regime.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »

I agree that they probably wouldn't get much in return.  But if he isn't in their long range plans, they would probably be happy to get at least something in return for him while dumping salary.  The same way the traded Tanny and Quinn and didn't get much in return.  But at least they got something and dumped salary in the process. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 04:22:52 pm »

Unless I missed something, he didn't seem to be a problem in previous seasons.
He's not the same player the last 2 years after coming back from injury. He's still good, but he's not the same.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:26:08 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 04:40:40 pm »

Unless I missed something, he didn't seem to be a problem in previous seasons. Wonder what happened to him. Seems we've had this type of thing happen to some of our good players going all the way back to the Philbin regime.
Although they were all informed earlier that week, he refused to go back in and play against the Jets because they rotated him out in the first half. He didn't play one snap of the second half because he was pouting.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »

Although they were all informed earlier that week, he refused to go back in and play against the Jets because they rotated him out in the first half. He didn't play one snap of the second half because he was pouting.
Yeah, I remember but that seems to be when it all started. I don't recall any issues before that happened. Something else could have happened behind the scenes. We'll probably never know either way.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 05:45:42 pm »

I don't think that would really be an issue if had showed up to OTAs.  Different coach.  If he showed up to OTAs with a positive attitude, odds are Flores would be like, "I don't know what happened between you and Gase, and I don't care, the past is the past.  As long as you give 100% this season I don't give two shits what happened last year." 

Problem is he is still pouting about last year, this year. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 10:31:12 pm »

Yeah, I remember but that seems to be when it all started. I don't recall any issues before that happened. Something else could have happened behind the scenes. We'll probably never know either way.

A coach may say that but he will likely consider it a first strike if the player doesn't show a change. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 01:33:52 am »

Not a Philbin Gase Flores guy.

Again, not promising when your new head coach's early moves are to get rid of your team's best players.  Why not do your job and coach them?

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 06:50:50 am »

Not a Philbin Gase Flores guy.

Again, not promising when your new head coach's early moves are to get rid of your team's best players.  Why not do your job and coach them?

A prerequisite to that is for the player to actually show up and be coached. The only real leverage a coach has is to get rid of players who are unwilling to participate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray