Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:23:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 57420 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2020, 05:30:19 am »

Good to hear. The thing is, as big an issue as it is,  we still have no idea exactly how many people have been infected if we are to believe that some people show no symptoms. You can't believe any number statistic being thrown around.

Widespread tests for antibodies is the normal way to get a picture of how many were exposed at some point. Spain just completed a large test and only 5% of the population tested positive, with some metropolitan regions edging above 10%. A similar picture was seen in France with about 4.5% of the total population and 9-10% in the hardest hit areas of Paris.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:59 am »

Feeling better, and my test from yesterday came back negative.  If everyone's symptoms were as mild as mine have been, this virus would be a non-issue.
Sounds similar to what my daughter went through. The worst part of it was the fever.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2020, 11:24:04 am »

In terms of deaths, I think that the most meaningful stat will come from simply taking the average number of deaths in a given month and comparing it to the actual number of deaths posts Covid.  We'll probably be able to get a pretty decent number.  We don't really know what to attribute to Covid otherwise.

Personally, I'm loosening restrictions a bit, but only within my family and friends.  We're starting to intermingle a bit with my sister, sending my daughter to Grandma's for "school" each day and I may have a friend or two over to do a project in the garage.  Meanwhile, while I'm doing that, I'm exposing myself to the general public less.  I haven't gone back to the grocery in a while (did Instacart) and I've done so many projects that I'm not really short on supplies from Home Depot, where I was going about once a week. 

I imagine that as things open up, we'll see an increase in people getting this.  Hopefully, those people that go out in the first wave are the healthiest and will recover and not be able to get sick again.  As more and more people venture out into the world, eventually, I'll feel safe enough that I can take on that risk for my family.

I'm really most worried about my mother-in-law.  She's the one I'm trying to protect most in all of this.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2020, 01:29:57 pm »

I think "number of deaths" is still a meaningful statistic, even if we can't catch a) people who are dying at home without being tested or b) people who have tested positive but died due to unrelated preexisting conditions.  It's clear that we have many, many more deaths from poor health than we did in March and April of 2019.

Number of deaths has been misrepresented in some cases.  Colorado was reporting deaths with in the same numbers as death from. I didn't dig deep but I saw in one place this caused a 23 percent drop once corrected.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2020, 09:55:50 pm »

Technically, nobody dies from AIDS.  AIDS destroys your immune system, and then you catch a disease which you are unable to fight off, and that disease kills you.  So does that mean we should categorize AIDS as a disease that causes zero deaths?  Of course not, because it is a significant contributing factor.

So I'm not sure how thinly we want to slice COVID-19 "deaths."  Someone who has been living with asthma for decades, catches COVID-19, and dies within weeks was not killed by asthma.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2020, 08:33:41 am »

Number of deaths has been misrepresented in some cases.  Colorado was reporting deaths with in the same numbers as death from. I didn't dig deep but I saw in one place this caused a 23 percent drop once corrected.
The most glaring example is they classified one guy who died from alcohol poisoning as a corona death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8324017/Colorado-health-officials-fire-saying-drunk-man-died-coronavirus.html

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2020, 09:32:32 am »

The most glaring example is they classified one guy who died from alcohol poisoning as a corona death.

If he was drinking Coronas when he died...I say we let that one slide.

Lips Sealed

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2020, 09:42:23 am »

If he was drinking Coronas when he died...I say we let that one slide.

Lips Sealed

Honest mistake  Cheesy
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2020, 02:20:12 pm »

Technically, nobody dies from AIDS.  AIDS destroys your immune system, and then you catch a disease which you are unable to fight off, and that disease kills you.  So does that mean we should categorize AIDS as a disease that causes zero deaths?  Of course not, because it is a significant contributing factor.

So I'm not sure how thinly we want to slice COVID-19 "deaths."  Someone who has been living with asthma for decades, catches COVID-19, and dies within weeks was not killed by asthma.

Please see Tenshots example of a real scenario.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »

There is both underreporting and overreporting.  And anadotical examples of both. However, if you compare the overall fatality rate in the US with what it has been historically the data suggests under reporting.

BTW the USA has had more DEATHS than China had cases.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2020, 03:24:50 pm »

There is both underreporting and overreporting.  And anadotical examples of both. However, if you compare the overall fatality rate in the US with what it has been historically the data suggests under reporting.

BTW the USA has had more DEATHS than China had cases.
Show me an example of under-reporting instead of just telling us about it.

Aww you think China is actually reporting anything close to accurate numbers...that's cute.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2020, 03:28:36 pm »

What is everyone's opinion of the demonetization of Hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?  I found Ivette Lozano's speech pretty glaring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh0bYr-lhLw
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2020, 03:40:03 pm »

What is everyone's opinion of the demonetization of Hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?  I found Ivette Lozano's speech pretty glaring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh0bYr-lhLw

I think Trump should triple his dosage, and do it publicly, so we can all take heart from his brave example.

Evil

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2020, 02:00:49 am »

Show me an example of under-reporting instead of just telling us about it.
After Deaths At Home Spike In NYC, Officials Plan To Count Many As COVID-19

"The announcement comes as New York City, which has been hardest-hit by the virus, saw its largest single-day toll so far from the COVID-19 pandemic, with 727 dying in a 24-hour period.

However, even those numbers failed to include many instances when first responders encountered someone who had already died at home or in other non-hospital settings. That happened 280 times on Monday, according to data from the city's Fire Department.

While not all of those deaths are necessarily caused by COVID-19, it's a sharp increase over the average 25 home deaths per day the city was experiencing before the pandemic swept the five boroughs.

Over the last two weeks, the city's fire officials said more than 2,192 New York City residents died in their homes, compared to 453 during the same time period last year."

For every American with COVID-19 who dies from some other acute ailment, there are likely thousands who die at home untested and are classified as unrelated deaths.  NYC was undercounting hundreds of deaths per day before this change, and not all localities have adopted this policy.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2020, 10:51:18 am »

The numbers for covid are so skewed I really can't even begin to believe them either way. First off we now know that the number of infected are considerably higher based on the antibody test. We also have medical staff all over the country who have come out against being pressured to use covid as "cause of death" or people who were never even tested were labeled as covid. Like Spider pointed out ... many who did die at home might have had it as well. We have numbers true but for most reasons they are useless.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray