Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Acquire Tyreek Hill for 5 Draft Picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Acquire Tyreek Hill for 5 Draft Picks  (Read 2530 times)
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 08:37:32 am »

So this is where the league "officially" recognizes the value of wide receivers as essential counterparts to elite QBs in the formula for winning Super Bowls in the contemporary NFL, thus replacing the function and value of the running backs of previous eras:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33760144/deebo-samuel-aj-brown-terry-mclaurin-skip-field-work-offseason-programs-amid-push-new-contracts-sources-say
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 08:55:21 am »

So this is where the league "officially" recognizes the value of wide receivers as essential counterparts to elite QBs in the formula for winning Super Bowls in the contemporary NFL, thus replacing the function and value of the running backs of previous eras:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33760144/deebo-samuel-aj-brown-terry-mclaurin-skip-field-work-offseason-programs-amid-push-new-contracts-sources-say

IDid the Jags sign Christian Kirk to that absolutely ridiculous contract before all the other trades and signings were made? Because if so, I wonder how much that deal alone inflated the numbers for everyone else.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 12:04:41 pm »

IDid the Jags sign Christian Kirk to that absolutely ridiculous contract before all the other trades and signings were made? Because if so, I wonder how much that deal alone inflated the numbers for everyone else.

If a team did that with a running back nobody would follow suit because the league knows full well running backs are a dime a dozen.  They would just let that team go ahead and be stupid.  Note for example that the average salary of the highest-paid running back in the league in 2022 (McCaffrey) is roughly 14 million dollars less than the average salary of the highest-paid wide receiver in the league (T. Hill).  Moreover, that running back has a tremendous history of catching the ball and functioning more like a receiver than almost any other running back in the league, while that receiver has virtually no history of running the ball.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2022, 06:34:05 am »

If a team did that with a running back nobody would follow suit because the league knows full well running backs are a dime a dozen.  They would just let that team go ahead and be stupid.  Note for example that the average salary of the highest-paid running back in the league in 2022 (McCaffrey) is roughly 14 million dollars less than the average salary of the highest-paid wide receiver in the league (T. Hill).  Moreover, that running back has a tremendous history of catching the ball and functioning more like a receiver than almost any other running back in the league, while that receiver has virtually no history of running the ball.

It will be interesting to see where this goes in future, due to the influence of a guy who could well be that highest paid WR in the league very soon - Deebo Samuel. He is a high profile WR moved to the RB position while still playing snaps as a WR, and I think it could potentially shift the game in contrast to say when Green Bay did it with Ty Montgomery a few years back when it was seen as an abnormality. It certainly takes something to do this, something beyond the occasional reverse call...

If a WR is big enough and strong enough to run inside, I can see some other teams trying to adopt this - and drafting for it too. That kid in the Gasparilla Bowl, Ryan O'Keefe, is what I'm talking about - another dynamic player who can make you forget about RB and just slot the guy in anywhere! If there are more guys out there in the Deebo Samuel territory in college, a big WR who can run between tackles - I reckon they will get a look at in the next couple of years.

Would I be surprised if Hill or Waddle end up taking some snaps in the RB position next season - the answer would be no. I admit I wouldn't be particularly happy with the thought given our investment in these guys, but I wouldn't be surprised either - Hill has already said he wants to return more kicks next year!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:04:55 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2022, 07:58:45 am »

It will be interesting to see where this goes in future, due to the influence of a guy who could well be that highest paid WR in the league very soon - Deebo Samuel. He is a high profile WR moved to the RB position while still playing snaps as a WR, and I think it could potentially shift the game in contrast to say when Green Bay did it with Ty Montgomery a few years back when it was seen as an abnormality. It certainly takes something to do this, something beyond the occasional reverse call...

If a WR is big enough and strong enough to run inside, I can see some other teams trying to adopt this - and drafting for it too. That kid in the Gasparilla Bowl, Ryan O'Keefe, is what I'm talking about - another dynamic player who can make you forget about RB and just slot the guy in anywhere! If there are more guys out there in the Deebo Samuel territory in college, a big WR who can run between tackles - I reckon they will get a look at in the next couple of years.

Would I be surprised if Hill or Waddle end up taking some snaps in the RB position next season - the answer would be no. I admit I wouldn't be particularly happy with the thought given our investment in these guys, but I wouldn't be surprised either - Hill has already said he wants to return more kicks as part of the the Taxi Squad next year!

That's the way the game is moving, and I don't think it even matters whether the receiver has the size and strength to run inside.  The extra yard or so on average that's gained from having a receiver who can run inside pales in comparison to the effects elsewhere that can be obtained from putting a receiver in that position, most notably in the passing game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray