Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:45:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Training camp begins today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Training camp begins today  (Read 11997 times)
el diablo
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:39:06 pm »

I know I'm late to this party, so here we go. Optimistic? No. Excited? Definitely. Besides, what doesn't go right in real life, Madden is there to alleviate it. Go Phins!!!!
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 03:43:32 pm »

Tannehill needs to get his ass in camp....whether he starts or gets playing time soon or not.....get in camp you bum!!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »

Missing 1 day of practice is no big deal for Tannehill.  Hell the GM himself and the coach have all but said he won't start Week 1. If this goes 2 or 3 days or longer.... it's "ANOTHER" black eye for Ireland and the organization though.

They are trying to put stuff in his deal no other guy drafted in front or right behind him has, and it makes zero sense. It won't work and Ireland and the front office are putting off the inevitable.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

So how bout we take out the offset language but reduce the guaranteed money.  Will he sign then?

My guess is "no"

Why should he? Nobody else drafted before or after him has that in their contract. He just wants what everyone drafted in his "range" got. He isn't asking for anything out of the ordinary. This is another Jeff Ireland special! I don't rip on Jeff as much as others do, but man he makes it tough to keep defending him with nonsense like this.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

Missing 1 day of practice is no big deal for Tannehill.  Hell the GM himself and the coach have all but said he won't start Week 1.

Even more so a reason for Tannehill to be at practice.  Is he more concerned with how much money he will make if he is a bust or is he more concerned with NOT being a bust? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »

Even more so a reason for Tannehill to be at practice.  Is he more concerned with how much money he will make if he is a bust or is he more concerned with NOT being a bust? 

This isn't on Tannehill. Ireland and front office are playing games. No agent worth anything and the NFLPA won't let the Fins do what they are trying to do with his deal.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »

MikeO is right on this one guys. It's dumb for Ireland to be stuck on something that every other team has already gotten past.  Tannehill isn't asking for anything special, he's just asking what every other signed draftee has already gotten. Give it to him already and be done with it. Delaying for this is stating that you have no confidence in your own draft choices! Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:44:15 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
el diablo
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »

Day 1 of training camp, and I'm already agreeing with Mike. Leave it to the Dolphins front office to make a foolish stand. You draft a guy to play QB at 8. You intend for him to start eventually. Now you expect the player to offer you an out.  I wouldn't sign with offset language either. It just means that when you so sign, you better do everything in your power to make it worth it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:58 pm »

Day 1 of training camp, and I'm already agreeing with Mike. Leave it to the Dolphins front office to make a foolish stand. You draft a guy to play QB at 8. You intend for him to start eventually. Now you expect the player to offer you an out.  I wouldn't sign with offset language either. It just means that when you so sign, you better do everything in your power to make it worth it.
Yep. Not when guys drafted AFTER him don't even have this language in their contract. That's why no agent worth anything and the NFLPA won't ever allow this to happen. And why Ireland is wasting his friggin time fighting this.

It's downright foolish by Ireland and the organization.
tepop84
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 12:16:48 am »

Is Ireland confident about is drafting, or concerned he drafted another bust?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 04:59:51 am »

Or is he friggin clueless. I go with friggin clueless! lol
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 08:44:52 am »

If he drafted a player that cares more about money than being a successful football player, then Ireland did draft a bust. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:06 am »

If I didn't know better I'd say the Dolphins were keeping Tannehill out of practice on purpose. They know there is absolutely no way that Tannehill's agent can agree to this. It would be career suicide for him.

So here's a theory. They already know that Tannehill is NOT going to be the opening day starter, but they don't want the fans pressuring them into making him the opening day starter. So do something that keeps him out of training camp long enough that you can point to and say well he's not ready because he wasn't there for all of training camp. I know crazy right? That's still the best explanation I can come up with. Remember that Tannehill already knows the offense, so being a couple days late to camp really isn't going to change much. Everyone can tote the company line and all that missing a couple days of camp will set you back and all and that might be true if it were somebody who didn't already know the offense, but Tannehill does. This isn't going to prevent him from knowing the playbook, all it's going to do is prevent him from getting reps with the receivers and prevent him from looking good in practice for all the fans to see. Maybe that's what they are afraid of.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:35:43 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:04 am »

^^^ Pappy that is a bit nuts.  The reason why is not expected to be the day one starter is he needs more than a full training camp of coaching to be ready to be an NFL QB.  Cutting his training camp short doesn't improve him as a QB.

Last year, TWO players negotiated to have the offset language removed from their contract.  Only TWO. 

This year all of them want it.

The owners negotiated for it when working out the CBA for a reason.  To avoid spending megabuck on the Ryan Leaf, Jamarus Russel, Vern Golstein, and Ted Ginns of the NFL. 

Caving in makes no sense for the owners. 

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 11:51:37 am »

Caving in makes no sense for the owners. 

But they all have caved pretty much....except for Ross. All of the guys picked AHEAD of Tannehill don't have it in their deals. A few guys picked right after Tannehill don't have offeset language in their contract. You can't expect Tannehill to just accept it. That makes zero sense!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray