Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:24:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Texans Draft Pick Watch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Texans Draft Pick Watch  (Read 18569 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 04:46:29 pm »

1-5

WOO HOO!!!

Aww man, that was crazy. Insane game from these two but King Henry and MVP Tanny were just a little too much. Texans played like a different team because O'Brien is not hindering Watson anymore. Too bad for him Bill removed his supporting cast. Next week they play the Packers and a very good shot at 1-6 which would all but eliminate them from the playoffs. Once that happens, depression sets in and hopefully more losses.

Fins Up!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:58 pm »

Texans have the 6th hardest SOS remaining. Of course, that is based on current records and are subject to change.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »

The Texans played a very good Titans team way too closely.  They need to take their effort and performance back down a few notches. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 03:55:33 pm »

The Texans played a very good Titans team way too closely.  They need to take their effort and performance back down a few notches. 

If they lose next week to the Packers, they are 1-6 and the playoffs are basically over. They would then have to go 8-1 just to be 9-7 and that isn't even a guarantee of a playoff spot most years due to tiebreakers. That's why a lot of their beat reporters are talking about a firesale if they lose. They are $6 Million over the cap for next season and we all know they don't have any good draft picks. So, trading Watt and Stills and even Fuller for draft picks would jump start their rebuild. They are fortunate enough to have their franchise QB already in place so it might not be a long one if they hire the right people.

That being said, if they do go ahead with it after Sunday, this could be a 3-4 win season and that is almost guaranteed to be a Top 5 pick.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 04:29:54 pm »

With the QB class expected for next year's draft, having a top-5 pick will likely mean quite a few teams interested in trading up...and that is very good.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 04:57:22 pm »

With the QB class expected for next year's draft, having a top-5 pick will likely mean quite a few teams interested in trading up...and that is very good.

Absolutely, but unfortunately the top contenders for the first 5 picks all need QBs so we may see a bizarre draft where the first 4 picks are all QBs. Jets, Giants, Redskins, Jaguars and Vikings all suck and will draft a QB if one is available and projected to go in the 1st round. With the Giants, I am assuming Jones continues to fumble and throw picks like his life depends on it. So, let's hope the Texans do what we did last year and burn it all down and win 2 games max.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »

The fact that the Texans don't own their first two picks is itself a pretty strong disincentive towards selling off parts and mailing it in.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 08:53:06 am »

The fact that the Texans don't own their first two picks is itself a pretty strong disincentive towards selling off parts and mailing it in.

I would agree with this if it were the start of the season and they were 3-2, knowing this year is basically the end of their championship window. However, they are 1-5 and when they hit 1-6, would need to go 9-0 to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs. Knowing that, it would be a crime not to have a firesale to help rebuild. Only other options are go 4-12 this year and 4-12 next year because no draft picks or free agent signings are coming and maybe 4-12 the year after that as well.

They have to sell and I think they will after Sunday.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2020, 09:12:02 am »

not for nothing but now's the year to do it too .. what are fans going to do .. not buy tickets to their games ?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2020, 10:32:41 am »

not for nothing but now's the year to do it too .. what are fans going to do .. not buy tickets to their games ?

Excellent point. With a new head coach and GM, you can sell hope to the fanbase for 2021. After all, they still have DeShaun Watson and that is miles ahead of most rebuilding teams. If I was a Texans fan, I would want a fire sale after Sunday. Even if they win, I would still want it because it's Superbowl or bust and they're not making the Superbowl.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:06 pm »

That is a very good point.  Now I'm curious as to how much (if at all) teams take the mostly empty stadiums into account in their advance planning for next year. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2020, 08:58:05 pm »

I would agree with this if it were the start of the season and they were 3-2, knowing this year is basically the end of their championship window. However, they are 1-5 and when they hit 1-6, would need to go 9-0 to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs. Knowing that, it would be a crime not to have a firesale to help rebuild.
What firesale?  This is the NFL.  Teams regularly go from a losing record directly to the Super Bowl.

In fact, in 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls, at least one of the conference champions had a losing record in the previous season.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »

What firesale?  This is the NFL.  Teams regularly go from a losing record directly to the Super Bowl.

In fact, in 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls, at least one of the conference champions had a losing record in the previous season.

Did those teams have draft picks before the 3rd round and cap space? In general, I agree with you that it can be done, but not with the Texans. This exact team or worse is what will be on the field next year because they don't have high draft picks or the ability to sign anyone good in free agency. That's why they need to blow it up, Bill O'Brien did monumental harm to this franchise.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2020, 12:27:22 pm »

FWIW, Deshaun Watson told the media that no one is going anywhere and there will be no fire sale. His opinion has to be respected by the front office but he isn't in charge. Ultimately, the Owner will make the call and I'm sure Sunday's game will help his decision making.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2020, 02:20:37 pm »

21-0 Packers at the half.....well, 15 seconds before the half so let's hope there is a momentum changing kickoff.

If this turns into a 30 point loss, how can ownership not justify a fire sale? 1-6, no draft picks or cap space.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray