Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:52:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  I have Covid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: I have Covid  (Read 13480 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:15 pm »

My mother in law got her first shot today. 

It is an incredible relief for my family.  She's the #1 person in our life that we felt was vulnerable.  She just got it today and it takes weeks to reach peak effectiveness, and she'll still need another shot, but just to get started on that path just about moved us to tears, honestly.

It's not because of our sacrifices that I feel that way, but more because of the things that we chose not to sacrifice.  Sending out kids back to school has been, bar none, the toughest choice.  The science told us it was relatively safe, but it is still some level of additional risk -- and if our kids had brought COVID to her, it would've been crippling to us.

There are still several key people that need to get the vaccine for us to take another step towards normalcy, but this is sure a big one.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2021, 02:07:49 pm »

Good to hear. Which one did she get?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2021, 06:29:09 pm »

my dad gets the vax tomorrow

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 09:55:55 pm »

My 77 year old father in law who somehow managed not to catch it from us just got his second shot today. The first one made him sick for a day and this one has made his arm pretty sore and useless. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse but both are much better than full on Covid.

On a bright note they are allowing him to visit with my MIL tomorrow. We are hopeful she will be out soon.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2021, 08:16:28 am »

Good to hear. Which one did she get?

Moderna.  She has a follow up date in mid Feb sometime.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 10:17:22 pm »

My daughter that lives with me just found out yesterday she has covid. She works as a teacher at a child care facility and got it from another teacher that got it from a student. I'm on the waiting list to get my first shot which was probably going to be in the next week or 2. I think I have it as well as I've been coughing all day, but that's the only symptoms I have so far. Could just be allergies, but it seems a little too much of a coincidence after I find out that she has it that these symptoms appeared. So far the only symptoms that she's had are headaches, high fever, some aches and pains and generally feeling warn down. She doesn't have a cough but it seems to affect everyone differently so we'll see. I plan to quarantine for 10 days so if I get a call to get the vaccine do I turn it down? If I have Covid is it pretty much just like getting the vaccine? I guess I'll ask when they call me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:21:35 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 11:40:31 pm »

the recommendation is to wait 90 days after you recover from covid to get the vaccine if i remember the cdc guidance correctly
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2021, 04:10:20 am »

My daughter that lives with me just found out yesterday she has covid. She works as a teacher at a child care facility and got it from another teacher that got it from a student. I'm on the waiting list to get my first shot which was probably going to be in the next week or 2. I think I have it as well as I've been coughing all day, but that's the only symptoms I have so far. Could just be allergies, but it seems a little too much of a coincidence after I find out that she has it that these symptoms appeared. So far the only symptoms that she's had are headaches, high fever, some aches and pains and generally feeling warn down. She doesn't have a cough but it seems to affect everyone differently so we'll see. I plan to quarantine for 10 days so if I get a call to get the vaccine do I turn it down? If I have Covid is it pretty much just like getting the vaccine? I guess I'll ask when they call me.

I would recommend four things:

1. Quarantine
2. Get tested
3. Talk to a doctor re: if you should get the vax
4. Not use a football forum for medical advice.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2021, 07:35:20 am »

the recommendation is to wait 90 days after you recover from covid to get the vaccine if i remember the cdc guidance correctly
That's what they told us. Since we've gotten out of the hospital new research has come out.  those who recover from COVID-19, new research shows immunity to the virus can last for at least 8 months, and may last much longer. I'm guessing as time goes on and they can test longer term effects that may even become longer. Either way it seems that if you've had it that you shouldn't feel too rushed to get the shot.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-what-we-know#What-we-currently-know-about-COVID-19-immunity

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2021, 08:14:12 am »

I would recommend four things:

1. Quarantine
2. Get tested
3. Talk to a doctor re: if you should get the vax
4. Not use a football forum for medical advice.
1. Done
2. Thinking about it. Not sure what that will prove. This morning I awoke with chills, a little achy and little bit of a headache. I have it.
3. Will do
4. Meh, I don't know any doctors. Besides this is the off-topic board not the football forum and if I were to do what you suggest then I have to ignore 1-3. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:17:50 am by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:08 am »

2. Thinking about it. Not sure what that will prove. This morning I awoke with chills, a little achy and little bit of a headache. I have it.
Could be something else.  Flu etc.  There have at least a dozen times in my life where I have had those exact symptoms before Covid was a thing.

4. Meh...if I were to do what you suggest then I have to ignore 1-3. Smiley

Lol.  Just rely on #3 not us for the vax/no vax decision.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »

Could be something else.  Flu etc.  There have at least a dozen times in my life where I have had those exact symptoms before Covid was a thing.
And if my daughter had not just tested positive for Covid on Saturday, I would believe that too. Something about the timing being too much of a coincidence won't let me think that.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2021, 12:40:32 pm »

And if my daughter had not just tested positive for Covid on Saturday, I would believe that too. Something about the timing being too much of a coincidence won't let me think that.

low probability /= impossible

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2021, 04:55:40 pm »

So I finally feel well enough to update my story with a bout of Covid 19. My Daughter tested positive on Saturday Jan 30th. After speaking with her I think she actually contracted the virus between Wednesday the 27th and Friday the 29th. She lives with my wife and I and I was taking her back and forth to work every day. My symptoms started on Sunday Jan 31st. At first I only had a cough. By Monday Feb 1st I had a fever, chills, aches, pains and a headache, but I still felt well enough to continue working from home. By Wednesday Feb 3rd I was not feeling well enough to continue to work from home. In addition to the symptoms above I now felt very week, I had lost all appetitite, my gums were swelling, I was congested, I had diarrhea was nauseous and what I will describe as mania. I could not think straight, felt very dizzy and confused and nearly lost my balance if I tried to get up and walk. When I closed my eyes my thoughts would race. I would get fixated on single thoughts and could not think of anything else or put those thoughts out of my head even though I was exhausted. Because of this I quit trying to lie down and instead sat up in bed and tried to watch TV or do other things to calm my mind but it was of little help as any noise and/or lights were irritating and aggravating. Every once in a while I would realize that I had fallen asleep sitting up in bed but would realize it had only been maybe 30 mins that I was asleep. This went on for about 7 days to the point that I was delirious and to the point of exhaustion. Finally I asked my wife to take me to the emergency room on Wednesday Feb 10th. They did a number of tests on me including a Covid 19 test which of course I was positive. The only other issue they found was that I was slightly dehydrated so they gave me an IV. They gave me a hydrocordone pill and prescribed Tylenol 3 and sent me home. The hydrocordone and Tylenol 3 finally seemed to calm my mind and I was able to rest over the next couple of days. I slept most of the time from Feb10th till about Feb 12th when I finally started to feel like the worst was over and was able to eat a little something. I would say the first real day that I felt better was Sunday Feb 14th or just about exactly 2 full weeks after the initial symptoms began. The only remaining symptoms I have now are I still have diarrhea and I still have a cough. I lost 10 lbs during those 2 weeks. The 1 good thing I can say about my experience is that I never had shortness of breath, but that was little consolation from everything else I was feeling.

Take it from me that you do not want to get covid 19. I was unprepared for what I went through. I know none of what I experienced was permenent except my memory of it. I can't imagine forgetting my experience anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:59:12 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2021, 05:29:23 pm »

Glad you are better! It's so strange how it is different for so many people.

I have had lingering issue like shortness of breath, fevers and swelling of the legs. I found out last week that the covid caused Pericarditis ... an inflammation of the heart sac. Anyway ... I am on a aspirin regiment now and seem to be getting better. After being told this by my doctor I read where it is good to take a full apsirin (not baby) every day for a few weeks after having Covid.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:30:55 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray