Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:21:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rant: The general public are slapdicks.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Rant: The general public are slapdicks.  (Read 6057 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 09:58:01 am »

cour·te·ous
/ˈkərdēəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
polite, respectful, or considerate in manner.
"she was courteous and obliging to all"

You're confusing courteous with civil.  People are more civil.  They definitely aren't more courteous.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2021, 11:14:42 am »

I'm seriously laughing out loud because even you know how ridiculous that is. Look at the comment section of ANY article or social post to the general public. People are easily more dickish today than ever in recent history. Few people would talk to people in public like they do from behind the safety of their keyboard. The bad part of the internet is making people worse and not better.

You're right, of course... I see much less common courtesy on social media than I use to as a kid.   Wink

If you want an actual legitimate reason for the lack of courtesy on social media, the term you want is...

"The bravery of being out of range"

In the old days, when communications were pretty much face to face, rudeness had more tangible consequences. Piss someone off, you get punched in the mouth, or worse...a gunshot to the chest. These days, people can say anything they want at any time...with relative impunity.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2021, 12:03:56 pm »

I'm seriously laughing out loud because even you know how ridiculous that is. Look at the comment section of ANY article or social post to the general public. People are easily more dickish today than ever in recent history. Few people would talk to people in public like they do from behind the safety of their keyboard. The bad part of the internet is making people worse and not better.

It is hard to compare how people act online today to how they acted online in 1981.  A better comparison is how they act in-person today vs in-person in 1981. Comparing in-person in 1981 vs online today is a better comparison of the technology than the era.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2021, 12:40:04 pm »

It is hard to compare how people act online today to how they acted online in 1981.  A better comparison is how they act in-person today vs in-person in 1981. Comparing in-person in 1981 vs online today is a better comparison of the technology than the era.

Did the thoughts of how people acted online even exist in 1981?   From what I've seen, they had modems and bulletin board systems and emails back then but they were limited to certain organizations and certainly not shared socially.  The internet didn't go mainstream until mid 1995.  
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2021, 01:20:43 pm »

Some of these responses are fucking comical.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2021, 02:31:49 pm »

Wait a minute... is the premise of this "people used to be nicer" argument seriously based on comparing online interactions in 2021 to real life interactions in 1981? Obviously you should be comparing apples to apples, real life to real life.

But even if we compare 1981 offline to 2021 online, 1981 is still far worse.  The amount of physical threats and intimidation then makes mean tweets seem pretty tame in comparison.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 02:35:42 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 09:58:31 am »

A news story out of Palm Beach this morning prompted me to make a Slapdick of the Year Nomination.   A guy was having a seizure while driving in a ritzy neighborhood of Palm Beach this week.  A landscaper saw the car slowly rolling and the guy having a seizure behind the wheel.  He used his own body to stop the car and started to render aid to the driver.  It must have caused a commotion because a few homeowners stepped out of their front doors and this one rich a-hole started yelling "Get off my yard.  Let him die somewhere else."   This story was backed up by a Police Report.  I would like to nominate that homeowner for Slapdick of the Year consideration.   
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2021, 10:10:01 am »

So...the dude having the seizure drove off the road and into the guy's yard?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2021, 10:44:25 am »

So...the dude having the seizure drove off the road and into the guy's yard?

The article didn't specify that so I don't know.  My assumption was that the landscaper pulled the driver out of the car and was rendering aid on the guy's yard.  But that is purely speculation on my part.  The article did say that the landscaper stopped the car from rolling by using his bodyweight and that the tire ran over his foot.  So I guess that is what led me to believe the vehicle was still on the road.  But I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying that is a fact that the car was still in the road. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2021, 10:46:23 am »

I would like to nominate that homeowner for Slapdick of the Year consideration.   

I think "Asshole of the Year" is more appropriate.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2021, 10:50:38 am »

A news story out of Palm Beach this morning prompted me to make a Slapdick of the Year Nomination.   A guy was having a seizure while driving in a ritzy neighborhood of Palm Beach this week.  A landscaper saw the car slowly rolling and the guy having a seizure behind the wheel.  He used his own body to stop the car and started to render aid to the driver.  It must have caused a commotion because a few homeowners stepped out of their front doors and this one rich a-hole started yelling "Get off my yard.  Let him die somewhere else."   This story was backed up by a Police Report.  I would like to nominate that homeowner for Slapdick of the Year consideration.   

Can't say there's a general good impression about the residents of Palm beach down here (not talking about west palm beach). This isn't that surprising to me based on the people that live on that island.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:18 pm »

I always try to think about how I fit into this puzzle.  The "thou who live in glass houses," and all that.  Right?  Everyone who drives slower than you, or faster than you, are idiots.  Somehow, whatever you do on the road, is just right.  I mean the PROVERBIAL you, of course, not you.  Or, do I?  Wink

I'm 100% sure I contribute to the "slapdick" community without even knowing, even though I try hard to operate with common sense and be courteous to those around me.  There are times things happen I just can't explain away, however, like today.

I went to Lowe's on my lunch break.  Any time I park, it's always the furthest ends of a parking lot.  My fulltime job is sedentary and the more I can walk, the better.  So, it's just me, my truck, and some sunshine.  There isn't another car in this entire area (the store itself wasn't busy at all).  I buy my items, load up my truck, and I'm sitting on my phone for a minute before I leave.  BEEP!  BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

I look up.  There is a woman, in a red whatever the heck it is, window down, motioning.  "ARE YOU LEAVING?"  BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

So I did what any self respecting person would do.  I shrugged and ignored her.  She parked RIGHT NEXT TO ME and stormed away.  Instead of one of the several dozen empty spots open to her.

So, slapdick.
Maybe she just wanted you to slap some dick? Ba dum tss.................

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:51 pm »

^ Why do you think she wanted your spot?  That doesn't make sense to me.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2021, 03:41:19 pm »

^ Why do you think she wanted your spot?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Total flirt move on her part.  Maine missed his chance.  Kidding.  If there were actually that many other open spots a lot closer to the store, she kind of sounds like a nutjob.  Or going back to my original premise, she wanted Maine to give her a nutjob.  Thank you, thank you very much.  Stick around for my 10:00 show and be sure to tip your servers. 
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 04:07:32 pm »

Yeah, Maine. What she look like? Crazy or slutty, flip a coin.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray