Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:01:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MIA's 2022 1st round draft pick and the PHI trade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: MIA's 2022 1st round draft pick and the PHI trade  (Read 6312 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2022, 09:59:50 am »

It is dumb as hell to blame a team for not tanking for a player.  GM, sure he can do what he can to tank the team for a long term future, it's his job to find the best players or stock up for the future, which is what Grier did.  If a head coach or players are tanking, they deserve to be fired immediately.

This is also very true, but as fans we can root for the tank. I mean really, what is the difference between 2-14 and 4-12? Sometimes it's better to be the worst, I'm sure the Bengals are grateful they were the worst team in 2019. Where would they be right now if they won 2 more games that year? Probably still around 3-5 wins a season.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:14 am »

It is dumb as hell to blame a team for not tanking for a player.  GM, sure he can do what he can to tank the team for a long term future, it's his job to find the best players or stock up for the future, which is what Grier did.  If a head coach or players are tanking, they deserve to be fired immediately.

I wasn't commenting on whether teams should tank.  My point was only that if they were tanking, they should've tanked completely and not won five games.  I suspect that what happened is that they made personnel moves without the intent of winning, but that the players and Flores did the best they could and won five games because of it.

You're not going to tell a head coach and the players to lose on purpose, but you can construct the team personnel-wise such that it has a very low probability of winning even with their best efforts.  I suspect they did the latter, but that Flores and company's best efforts got them five wins.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2022, 11:54:12 am »

I wasn't commenting on whether teams should tank.  My point was only that if they were tanking, they should've tanked completely and not won five games.  I suspect that what happened is that they made personnel moves without the intent of winning, but that the players and Flores did the best they could and won five games because of it.

You're not going to tell a head coach and the players to lose on purpose, but you can construct the team personnel-wise such that it has a very low probability of winning even with their best efforts.  I suspect they did the latter, but that Flores and company's best efforts got them five wins.

I put the "blame" on Fitzpatrick the most. The guy is a great leader and teammate.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2022, 12:07:13 pm »

I put the "blame" on Fitzpatrick the most. The guy is a great leader and teammate.

Max Kellerman said it best, Fitzpatrick is just good enough to ruin your franchise.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2022, 12:14:57 pm »

A simple solution for tanking would be to hold an NBA style lottery for the first three picks and involve all non-playoff teams
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 12:19:48 pm »

Max Kellerman said it best, Fitzpatrick is just good enough to ruin your franchise.
Actually, I think he's a free agent and I would bring him back to replace BBQ Brisket as a backup to Tua. Fitz has to understand that at this point in his career that he's only a backup. And actually, in hindsight, if he would have stayed with the Dolphins as backup instead of going to Washington he would have played more games and been in the playoffs instead of sitting on IR all year. How many of the 6 games we lost with Brisket would we have won with Fitz? I would say at minimum 2.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 12:41:37 pm »

A simple solution for tanking would be to hold an NBA style lottery for the first three picks and involve all non-playoff teams

I honestly don't think the NFL players tank. Management may try to but whether you win or lose, you're taking a beating on every play. In the NBA there is no physical pain in playing so they can be unmotivated and half ass it up and down the court, but not the NFL.

That being said, if the Jaguars hold the #1 pick for the third year in a row in 2023, something should be done behind the scenes to make sure there is no 4th straight year.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 01:56:09 pm »

That being said, if the Jaguars hold the #1 pick for the third year in a row in 2023, something should be done behind the scenes to make sure there is no 4th straight year.

Not necessary, IMO.  The #1 pick is as much a curse as it is a blessing.  It's a great player, potentially, but with a salary cap, you just can't keep #1 overall talent four years in a row.  That catches up with you.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 05:40:02 pm »

The big mistake the Dolphins made was in winning five games in 2019 and not getting Joe Burrow.  If you're tanking, then tank completely and get the best player possible.

This is true but you can't say we didn't try. We basically shipped off any player who even knew how to spell football. However, doesn't change the fact that what is now obviously "useless winning" cost this franchise a lot.

The incredible irony of these kinds of statements is that at the time the tank job in 2019 was explicitly for the player that the Dolphins ended up getting anyway!
It was LITERALLY CALLED "Tank for Tua!"

Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 06:16:56 pm »

The incredible irony of these kinds of statements is that at the time the tank job in 2019 was explicitly for the player that the Dolphins ended up getting anyway!
It was LITERALLY CALLED "Tank for Tua!"

I think that was the overriding sentiment at the outset of the 2019 season, but as the season went along, with the 2019 college season happening at the same time (the one in which Burrow and LSU won the NC), it became evident that Burrow became the better pick than Tua.  So if they would've tanked "appropriately" they could've had their choice between Burrow and Tua, and I suspect Burrow would've been the choice.  If Burrow wouldn't have been the choice, he sure should've been.

Now Cincinnati has the primary (if not essential) ingredient of a team that can win big in the NFL -- a stud QB/receiver combo in Burrow and Chase -- while the Dolphins pray their players will develop or that they're somehow hindered by the absence of other pieces they'll try to assemble.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 07:26:55 pm »

I think it's fairly obvious who the better player was, Waddle was a distant 3rd amongst the "Big 3".

Yeah, and Tua "was" said to be the better player versus Herbert (and you were gung ho for Tua); and where has that gotten the Dolphins?

If Waddle was a complete bust then maybe I might go along with your argument, but Waddle has shown himself to be worthy of a #1 draft pick, and Miami got an extra future #1 pick so it's crazy to say that Miami made a bad trade.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 07:32:18 pm »

I think that was the overriding sentiment at the outset of the 2019 season, but as the season went along, with the 2019 college season happening at the same time (the one in which Burrow and LSU won the NC), it became evident that Burrow became the better pick than Tua.
MIA won their first game of the 2019 season on November 3.  Tua went down with a season-ending injury on November 16, a week after losing to LSU 46-41.
The entire time that MIA was successfully tanking, it was to get Tua, and MIA's tank job ended a few days before Tua was lost for the year.

Now obviously, if they had gotten the #1 pick that year and Tua had still gotten injured, they would have chosen Burrow just as CIN did.  But fundamentally, it's bizarre that the Dolphins are being criticized for failing to successfully follow through on a tank job which had the objective of drafting Tua Tagovailoa.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 02:26:16 pm »

I think it's fairly obvious who the better player was, Waddle was a distant 3rd amongst the "Big 3".
I think you're looking at production rather than ability. Certainly Waddle didn't produce as much as the others, but if Miami had a more explosive offense he certainly could have been the MOST productive of any of them which I don't think necessarily should be confused with which player is the best.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 02:33:42 pm »

I think you're looking at production rather than ability. Certainly Waddle didn't produce as much as the others, but if Miami had a more explosive offense he certainly could have been the MOST productive of any of them which I don't think necessarily should be confused with which player is the best.
Literally the only one he didn't produce more than was Chase.  He outplayed Pitts.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 02:46:05 pm »

Literally the only one he didn't produce more than was Chase.  He outplayed Pitts.
Yeah you are correct, but I'm also taking into consideration that Pitts is a TE and Waddle is a receiver. Regardless, production is not necessarily equivalent to talent level.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray