Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:09:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Coach Saban on Terrell Owens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Coach Saban on Terrell Owens  (Read 20876 times)
DolFan619
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:05 am »

Saban expresses interest in acquiring Owens
By Jeff Darlington

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It wasn't exactly a glowing review. Then again, it also wasn't a sign of total disinterest.

Speaking about Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens on Tuesday, Dolphins coach Nick Saban left the door open about his interest in acquiring the controversial wide receiver during the off-season.

"I think we're interested in anybody who would make our team better," Saban said on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show. "Guys who have been proven playmakers in this league are all people we would be interested in."

Saban said he didn't know whether he was willing to make Owens his next reclamation project — like he did with running back Ricky Williams and wide receiver David Boston — but Saban noted it might be worth the research to find out.

"(That) can only be brought about by a lot of conversation and getting to know someone," Saban said. "I don't know this particular player well enough to make that determination right now, but it's something we might be interested in in the future."

This marked the first time Saban spoke directly about Owens, since league rules prohibited Saban from commenting about acquiring another team's property. That changed when agent Drew Rosenhaus was granted permission by the Eagles to seek a trade for the wide receiver.

Rosenhaus refused comment about the possibility of Owens joining the Dolphins.

For such an acquisition to occur, Saban would need to persuade several of his team's leaders that it would be a wise move.

Tight end Randy McMichael, wide receiver Chris Chambers and defensive end Jason Taylor all have spoken publicly about their desire to keep Owens out of their locker room.

"I don't need that virus like that," McMichael said on 790 The Ticket last week. "The guy destroyed two locker rooms already and it's only a matter of time before it happens again."

Owens, 32, was suspended twice last season. Both punishments were for conduct detrimental to the team.

"The competency and the chemistry that you can create certainly helps make for a good team," Saban told Patrick. "Those are the situations that we would consider relative to Terrell Owens."
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 02:30:38 pm »

Jason Taylor is the biggest two-face in sports.  BY FAR the biggest.

If the Dolphins sign T.O., he will change his tune OVERNIGHT, and come out and say how "as long as he can help us win, I like him", just like he bashed Ricky Williams until the minute he re-signed with the team, where he chirped a different song.

So all this "displeasure" talk is total BS from a Dolphins locker room.  The T.O. thing is over, time for teams to start improving upon their horrible WR corps (Atlanta, Jets, Tampa, etc...)

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:05:16 pm »

So all this "displeasure" talk is total BS from a Dolphins locker room.  The T.O. thing is over, time for teams to start improving upon their horrible WR corps (Atlanta, Jets, Tampa, etc...)

Yup.  

I'll take T.O. in a heartbeat,  Chambers and Owens, one can only dream.  aaahhhh.
Predatory_Fins
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:46:27 pm »

Yup.  

I'll take T.O. in a heartbeat,  Chambers and Owens, one can only dream.  aaahhhh.

yeah, it is a nice thought, Ricky and Ronnie, Chris and TO..........................m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:56:06 pm »

Take it from someone who has walked down that road...if I never have to cheer for T.O. again, it will be just fine with me. I'm hoping he goes somewhere else. Dallas would be a good fit; it would make cheering against him even more fun.  Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:59:50 pm »

I would take him in a heartbeat.  T.O. Chambers, Booker, Welker, and McMichael??  That's enough to give nightmares to an opposing secondary.  I would not, however, trade for him.  I would wait until the Eagles release him, then sign him to a contract with a relatively low base salary ($1 million per year), and HUGE incentives for stats and behavior.  I would also put a clause in the contract that would void it should he have another incident like the ones in Philly.  
bsfins
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:58:39 pm »

I'm going to put it this way...I don't think Miami has enough balls to go around,for T.Owens.

We have Ronnie Brown,Ricky Williams,Chris Chambers,Marty Booker,Randy Mcmicheal.We have to give our backs 20 carries...Unlike Philly,We actually try to run the ball.He didn't want to go to Baltimore,becuse they ran the ball too much.I don't think we could keep him happy.

I would be more accepting of paying more for a younger guy,say like a Reggie Wayne.

Our WR's are a Little older,I wouldn't mind us getting a Pair of younger guy's to grow up with a young QB...IE Marino,Duper,Clayton.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 05:59:19 pm by bsfins » Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:11:49 pm »

I'm going to put it this way...I don't think Miami has enough balls to go around,for T.Owens.

We have Ronnie Brown,Ricky Williams,Chris Chambers,Marty Booker,Randy Mcmicheal.We have to give our backs 20 carries...Unlike Philly,We actually try to run the ball.He didn't want to go to Baltimore,becuse they ran the ball too much.I don't think we could keep him happy.

I would be more accepting of paying more for a younger guy,say like a Reggie Wayne.

Our WR's are a Little older,I wouldn't mind us getting a Pair of younger guy's to grow up with a young QB...IE Marino,Duper,Clayton.

If Martz becomes our offensive coordinator, T.O. will come in a heartbeat.  He knows Martz will throw the ball.  
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:33:08 pm »

Let's just rename ourselves the Miami Raiders while we're at it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »

Read the article, then read the headline.

See how the damn media spins things?

Roll Eyes
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 04:44:25 am »

Read the article, then read the headline.

See how the damn media spins things?

Roll Eyes

Really?  There are plenty of smart guys who can see right through the article.  Here's Bob Flander's opinion on DolphinBlog.com

Chuckle...... There aint no errr "might be interested" going on here. There's full on interest and there aint no doubt in my mind that the Phins and Drew Rosenhaus are in full courtship. If this happens...(and I think the chances have increased dramatically) this will have the effect of a nuclear bomb going off in South Florida.

That's why I want this to happen. I love it when my team headlines the Sporting news and believe me, it will be a headline for a solid couple of days. PLUS---if T.O behaves, the Phins will most certainly jump into the top 10 of elite teams in the NFL.

Double team T.O, there goes Chris... Single team T.O, there goes T.O. Worry about T.O or Chris--there goes Ricky or Ronnie. Worry about all four---there goes McMichael. Now wouldn't that be fun to watch?

Oh but T.O's a cancer! Fuck that. That's the same shit I heard about Ricky and look how that turned out. I believe that you take these kind of chances because ya never know if it will turn out OK unless you try. If the Ricky doubters had their way, the Rickster wouldn't be wearing Aqua and Orange---and wouldn't that be a shame. I say throw all caution out the window and let's go for it.
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 06:21:02 am »

one way i would cheer for owens if he comes on our team

And thats if Saban confronts him before Preseason and tells him face to face to not pull that crap that he did in Phily.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 06:29:59 am »

Can we please better spend our eleventy bajillion dollars?

We don't need this cancer.  I disagree with Bob Flanders - I think Saban was saying "Hell no we don't want him" in the most polite and politically correct way possible.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:42:17 am »

I disagree.  I think he WANTS T.O.  If he wasn't interested, DON'T SAY A F'ING WORD.  He brought it up, so he's interested.

By the way, Chris Chambers is NOT Terell Owens.  Chris Chambers is Reggie Wayne, Amani Toomer, and etc..  He is a top NFL WR, but not one of the BEST WR's.  He's not a moss, owens, hines ward, torry holt, or marvin harrison, or chad johnson.  Chambers is simply NOT in that tier.  

I think they should trade away Marty Booker and David Boston and throw in a late round pick for Owens.  Wanna make Frerotte look like an all-star?  Sign Owens.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 07:19:57 am »

Really?  There are plenty of smart guys who can see right through the article.  Here's Bob Flander's opinion on DolphinBlog.com

Chuckle...... There aint no errr "might be interested" going on here. There's full on interest and there aint no doubt in my mind that the Phins and Drew Rosenhaus are in full courtship. If this happens...(and I think the chances have increased dramatically) this will have the effect of a nuclear bomb going off in South Florida.

That's why I want this to happen. I love it when my team headlines the Sporting news and believe me, it will be a headline for a solid couple of days. PLUS---if T.O behaves, the Phins will most certainly jump into the top 10 of elite teams in the NFL.

Double team T.O, there goes Chris... Single team T.O, there goes T.O. Worry about T.O or Chris--there goes Ricky or Ronnie. Worry about all four---there goes McMichael. Now wouldn't that be fun to watch?

Oh but T.O's a cancer! Fuck that. That's the same shit I heard about Ricky and look how that turned out. I believe that you take these kind of chances because ya never know if it will turn out OK unless you try. If the Ricky doubters had their way, the Rickster wouldn't be wearing Aqua and Orange---and wouldn't that be a shame. I say throw all caution out the window and let's go for it.

I don't know who Bob Flanders is, but I could not disagree with him more.

Taking on the one troubled player is something you can do when you have an already-elite team that just needs a little more.  See:  Dillon, Corey @ NE.

There is only one thing that will silence the mouth of an idiot like T.O., and that's winning championships.  We haven't even made the playoffs yet... it's a little early to start clearing space for more Lombardi trophies.  Take T.O. on your team and fail to win the Super Bowl, and you will be subjected to an endless media circus generated by him.

Comparing the acquisition of Ricky Williams to a potential acquisition of T.O. is like comparing a thigh cramp to an amputated leg.  Prior to MIA's acquisition of him, Ricky was certainly an eccentric player, but nowhere remotely approaching the radioactive land mine that is T.O.

Even considering Ricky's drug issues and "retirement," when it comes to being a cancer, you can't even put he and T.O. in the same medical textbook.  T.O. has shown that he is perfectly content to make trouble everywhere he goes.  He was a cancer in SF, a cancer in BAL (for the ~one week they had him), and a cancer in PHI.  Ricky's time in NO wasn't even in the same category as any of those stints.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray