Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:05:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Assuming Tannehill is cut, who would like to see Miami sign or draft?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Assuming Tannehill is cut, who would like to see Miami sign or draft?  (Read 34711 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 02:43:35 pm »

A bit off topic. Is it just me or shouldn't they make people agree to play a minimum amount of time if they enter the draft and get drafted?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »

A bit off topic. Is it just me or shouldn't they make people agree to play a minimum amount of time if they enter the draft and get drafted?

That would run foul to the 13th amendment.  If you are drafted you can only play for the team that drafted you for 3 years.  The NFL could impose a rule that if you have a current contact with another sport you are prohibited from being drafted or signing with a team.  But a rule saying that if you are drafted you must play football is slavery,

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:15 pm »

That would run foul to the 13th amendment.  If you are drafted you can only play for the team that drafted you for 3 years.  The NFL could impose a rule that if you have a current contact with another sport you are prohibited from being drafted or signing with a team.  But a rule saying that if you are drafted you must play football is slavery,
That's what I mean. As a requirement to enter the draft you have to agree to play for the team that drafts you or has rights to you for a minimum amount of time. If you don't agree, you don't get to enter the draft. Either you want to play football or you don't.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »

That's what I mean. As a requirement to enter the draft you have to agree to play for the team that drafts you or has rights to you for a minimum amount of time. If you don't agree, you don't get to enter the draft. Either you want to play football or you don't.

That pretty much already exists, if a player gets drafted he can only play for that team.

If you mean sign a document promising that if drafted you won’t play baseball, go to grad school, or get a different job rather than play football that would be unenforceable under the 13th amendment.   

It is also totally unnecessary.  It is a GMs job to assess a potential draftees commitment to football. 

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 04:47:29 pm »

That pretty much already exists, if a player gets drafted he can only play for that team.

If you mean sign a document promising that if drafted you won’t play baseball, go to grad school, or get a different job rather than play football that would be unenforceable under the 13th amendment.   

It is also totally unnecessary.  It is a GMs job to assess a potential draftees commitment to football. 
How is it slavery if you voluntarily sign a contract that says in exchange for admittance to the draft that you WILL play football for a certain amount of time? No one is putting a gun to anyone's head. You're not making any sense.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:35 pm »

How is it slavery if you voluntarily sign a contract that says in exchange for admittance to the draft that you WILL play football for a certain amount of time? No one is putting a gun to anyone's head. You're not making any sense.

Technically you are correct that would not be slavery, it would be indentured servant.  With the exception of the military, you can not be bound to not quit your job.  You can forfeit a signing bonus for quitting before the term of the contract is over, but you can not be compelled to work. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 05:42:28 pm »

I don’t know what he is going to do.  Neither do you.  Nor the As.  Nor NFL GMs.  I am not even sure if Murray has a concrete plan.  All of which makes using a draft pick on him highly risky. If a team uses a pick on him, they might have a player, they might not.  The only potential draftees more risky would be someone who sustained injuries in a car crash while driving drunk to the combine.
There's inherent risk in all draft choices. You don't know who's going to tear up a knee chasing their dog or just walking down the steps of their apartment. That shouldn't prevent you from drafting the guy. You have to weigh risk versus reward. The average lifespan of a player is what 3 or 4 years? You can't treat draft choices like they are gold. You have to treat them like gambling chips. Some are gonna pay off big, but most aren't. But you can't win if you don't ante up.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 06:03:43 pm »

There's inherent risk in all draft choices. You don't know who's going to tear up a knee chasing their dog or just walking down the steps of their apartment. That shouldn't prevent you from drafting the guy. You have to weigh risk versus reward. The average lifespan of a player is what 3 or 4 years? You can't treat draft choices like they are gold. You have to treat them like gambling chips. Some are gonna pay off big, but most aren't. But you can't win if you don't ante up.

i agree all draft picks have risk, that is why talented players with risk factors (behavior or injury) will fall.  (and possibly be a bargain in later rounds)  Problem with this guy is the further he falls the greater the chance he chooses baseball.  So unless you think he is so talented to be worth trading up for you are taking a big risk.  Plus given his size he is a relative risk of failure even if he plays.  If I am a GM he is not on my draft board at all.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 09:05:13 am »

Technically you are correct that would not be slavery, it would be indentured servant.  With the exception of the military, you can not be bound to not quit your job.  You can forfeit a signing bonus for quitting before the term of the contract is over, but you can not be compelled to work. 
Obviously someone can refuse to play after making an agreement. Just doesn't make sense to me that someone can enter the draft and waste everyone's time and money and then choose to go play soccer or volleyball. At that point you just blacklist him from the NFL and make him pay a hefty fine stipulated in a contract. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:31 am »

Obviously someone can refuse to play after making an agreement. Just doesn't make sense to me that someone can enter the draft and waste everyone's time and money and then choose to go play soccer or volleyball. At that point you just blacklist him from the NFL and make him pay a hefty fine stipulated in a contract. 

Most players don’t enter the draft.  By virtue of using your 4 years of college eligiblity you automatically become a potential draftee, only JR formally go thru a process of being drafted.  So any such solution would demand a lot of. time and money to fix a problem that barely exists.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2019, 03:45:43 pm »

Just doesn't make sense to me that someone can enter the draft and waste everyone's time and money and then choose to go play soccer or volleyball. At that point you just blacklist him from the NFL and make him pay a hefty fine stipulated in a contract.  
What if a player spends a lot of time and money to enter the draft, and then doesn't get drafted?  Does the NFL owe him money for all the time he wasted?

If you're worried about a player wasting your time and money, do not draft that player.
If you're worried about the NFL wasting your time and then not drafting you, do not enter the draft.
Seems pretty simple to me.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 01:47:51 am »

Unless they  changed the rule, that only stands for one year. If you don't play, you  can reenter the draft the next year.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2019, 10:26:54 am »

Unless they  changed the rule, that only stands for one year. If you don't play, you  can reenter the draft the next year.

True but once you do that nobody is going to waste a draft pick on you.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »

True but once you do that nobody is going to waste a draft pick on you.

Then you can sign with whoever you want. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 11:51:37 am »

I'd also be happy with Drew Lock sitting behind Nick Foles next year.  Lock has a pretty good arm, good touch and is about as mobile as Tannehill (just a bit slower).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray