Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:23:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...  (Read 11421 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2020, 02:54:06 pm »

This can't be ruled out entirely, they are an incredibly poorly run franchise and abandoning the 15th overall pick in 2019 despite not surrounding him with talent is something they would do. I do feel that it is still very unlikely but you can never predict what dumb people do.

Maybe they will trade Dwayne Haskins to Miami for a second round pick.   Smiley

Before AZ traded Rosen after just one year, I would have thought this more unlikely than I do now!

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2020, 03:05:12 pm »

Before AZ traded Rosen after just one year, I would have thought this more unlikely than I do now!

Yes, because Arizona is also a poorly run franchise  Grin
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2020, 03:10:57 pm »

In that case the GM was the same and went against every draft rule drafting QBs in the first round during consecutive seasons. At least in Washington's case it's completely different decision makers who are not tied to past selections.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2020, 03:43:15 pm »

Absolutely, it's definitely a concern and I don't know if I would be on board with taking him if we didn't have two other 1st rounders plus two 2nd rounders. But, considering his talent level and our obvious need for a franchise QB, I'd draft him even if he hobbled onto the stage with crutches.
The fact that Miami has 2 other 1st round picks is not really relevant because the fact is that if Miami drafts Tua that means they are not going to draft another QB this year and most likely not next year either. Essentially you are all in on a young QB that could be over a year away from helping your team and might never be the franchise QB you hope he will become. That's a big risk in my opinion regardless of how many other picks you have. Miss big on the QB which could happen through no fault of the kid or your coaching staff (like if Injury prevents him from becoming the QB he could have been) and you set your team back another couple of years looking for a QB. At least with a QB who's healthy you can judge him based solely on his talent and not be wondering if he just doesn't have the talent level for the NFL or if it's the injury holding him back and maybe he'll get healthy and maybe he won't? You're basically betting the next couple of years on the kid whereas you might pull the plug on another QB in a year if he doesn't pan out right away.

The ONLY way I would take Tua is if I was pretty sure that Rosen had a really good shot of winning the starting QB spot over Fitz next year so that even if Tua never becomes the QB you expect, you have another young QB competing for the postion. If they are planning to ditch Rosen, I wouldn't do it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:49:34 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2020, 03:54:27 pm »

The fact that Miami has 2 other 1st round picks is not really relevant because the fact is that if Miami drafts Tua that means they are not going to draft another QB this year and most likely not next year either. Essentially you are all in on a young QB that could be over a year away from helping your team and might never be the franchise QB you hope he will become. That's a big risk in my opinion regardless of how many other picks you have. Miss big on the QB which could happen through no fault of the kid or your coaching staff (like if Injury prevents him from becoming the QB he could have been) and you set your team back another couple of years looking for a QB. At least with a QB who's healthy you can judge him based solely on his talent and not be wondering if he just doesn't have the talent level for the NFL or if it's the injury holding him back and maybe he'll get healthy and maybe he won't? You're basically betting the next couple of years on the kid whereas you might pull the plug on another QB in a year if he doesn't pan out right away.

The ONLY way I would take Tua is if I really was pretty sure that Rosen had a really good shot of winning the starting QB spot over Fitz so that even if Tua never becomes the franchise QB, you have another young QB competing for it.

No matter who you draft there is a risk.  If you draft Tua there is the risk of injury and the risk he won't develop into an NFL caliber player.  If you draft Tyler Huntley there isn't as much of a risk from injury but it still exists just less, but there is less evidence on film that he is capable of being an NFL QB.  It really comes down to who has the overall best shot and becoming a franchise QB.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2020, 03:56:20 pm »

Tua looks like the best QB coming out this year, not named Burrows.  His upside is astronomical.  I'm confident enough to say the only way he doesn't work out is if he's injured.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2020, 04:02:58 pm »

No matter who you draft there is a risk.  If you draft Tua there is the risk of injury and the risk he won't develop into an NFL caliber player.  If you draft Tyler Huntley there isn't as much of a risk from injury but it still exists just less, but there is less evidence on film that he is capable of being an NFL QB.  It really comes down to who has the overall best shot and becoming a franchise QB.
But if you draft Tyler Huntley, the expectations aren't the same so you're not putting all your future plans for the next 3 years into Tyler Huntley. You give him a chance and you're willing to cut him loose at any point that you feel he's not the guy. Draft Tua and he's gonna get a long leash to prove he can do it or he can't. It's not the same situation. Personally I feel the best overall shot is Herbert. He may not have as high of an upside as Tua, but he doesn't have the associated health risk either.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »

Tua looks like the best QB coming out this year, not named Burrows.  His upside is astronomical.
His downside could be unavailable. The best ability is availabilty.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »

His downside could be unavailable. The best ability is availabilty.

Disagree.  If I had two well defined choices. 

Player A has a 50-50 chance of having the skill set of Dan Marino (great) and a 50-50 chance of being JaMarcus Russel (horrible).

Player B is Josh McCown level of skill set.  Decent but not great nor horrible.

I am taking player A.

I would rather have a player with a high ceiling and a low floor than an average player.  If it doesn't work out I try again.  But I am not getting to the superbowl on a guy with a low ceiling and faster than with a complete bust.         

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2020, 05:26:26 pm »

Yes, because Arizona is also a poorly run franchise  Grin
Just like the team holding the #2 pick.

If you think Burrow or a healthy Tua makes it past Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins because they are too invested in Dwayne Haskins, you're crazy.  Again, it is a miracle that the Dolphins MAY still be in a position to draft Tua.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2020, 09:43:13 pm »

Disagree.  If I had two well defined choices. 

Player A has a 50-50 chance of having the skill set of Dan Marino (great) and a 50-50 chance of being JaMarcus Russel (horrible).

Player B is Josh McCown level of skill set.  Decent but not great nor horrible.

I am taking player A.

I would rather have a player with a high ceiling and a low floor than an average player.  If it doesn't work out I try again.  But I am not getting to the superbowl on a guy with a low ceiling and faster than with a complete bust.         

But you don't have to take either. The draft is  wonderful that way.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2020, 08:10:51 am »

Just like the team holding the #2 pick.

If you think Burrow or a healthy Tua makes it past Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins because they are too invested in Dwayne Haskins, you're crazy.  Again, it is a miracle that the Dolphins MAY still be in a position to draft Tua.

If that's the case then we either trade down for more picks or hopefully take one of the great O-Line guys who are supposed to go Top 5. As long as we don't pass on him if he falls to us at 5.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:07 am »

If that's the case then we either trade down for more picks or hopefully take one of the great O-Line guys who are supposed to go Top 5. As long as we don't pass on him if he falls to us at 5.

There really aren't any O-linemen this year who are expected to go top-5. Not that it is a bad year for O-line, because I see it as a pretty solid O-line class...just no super-duperstar at the top of the pack.

I would love to see Miami take OC Tyler Biadasz, out of Wisconsin. I think he is a decent margin better than the #2 OC, Creed Humphrey.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2020, 10:02:05 am »

There really aren't any O-linemen this year who are expected to go top-5. Not that it is a bad year for O-line, because I see it as a pretty solid O-line class...just no super-duperstar at the top of the pack.

I would love to see Miami take OC Tyler Biadasz, out of Wisconsin. I think he is a decent margin better than the #2 OC, Creed Humphrey.

I've posted on other platforms many times how I would love Tyler Biadasz with our second or third 1st round pick. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2020, 12:46:19 pm »

I've seen plenty of mock drafts that have Andrew Thomas going 3rd or 4th with others having Willis Jr. in the Top 6 as well. I'll take whomever is the best player available at 5 if Tua is gone as long as it's not a WR.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray