Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:13:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Free Agency: Who is Available?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Free Agency: Who is Available?  (Read 7496 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: January 07, 2020, 02:38:31 pm »

I don't see people who jump out as must have players in their prime but there is some talent available like Anthony Castonzo OT for the Colts, Jack Conklin RT for the Titans and Joe Thuney Guard for the Patriots, age 26.

We may not be able to sign 3 Pro Bowlers in one offseason but our current crop of "has a pulse" linemen can be upgraded by lots of people in free agency.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 03:05:19 pm »

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 03:40:53 pm »

I don't see people who jump out as must have players in their prime but there is some talent available like Anthony Castonzo OT for the Colts, Jack Conklin RT for the Titans and Joe Thuney Guard for the Patriots, age 26.

We may not be able to sign 3 Pro Bowlers in one offseason but our current crop of "has a pulse" linemen can be upgraded by lots of people in free agency.

The Bucs need every one of those guys and have the cap space to do it.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:37 pm »

The Bucs need every one of those guys and have the cap space to do it.

There's going to be some bidding wars that reinvent the Guard market this offseason.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:35:55 pm »

Jack Conklin is the RT for the Titans and he will be a free agent. PFF ranked him 9th out of all qualifiers and the Titans need to resign Henry and Tanny so he may be the odd man out. RT will be more important than LT if we draft Tua.

Our top free agency priority?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:53:42 am »

D.J. Humphries is the LT of Arizona and was just resigned for 3 years/$45 Million with $29 Million guaranteed. He missed 37 games due to injuries his first 4 years and last season was graded out as the 58th best tackle out of 81.

So, the Cardinals just severely screwed the market for tackles. He is the 3rd highest paid LT in the league now and he sucks, that's insane. Other teams should be allowed to veto these contracts if they are this bad.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 01:37:54 pm »

So, the Cardinals just severely screwed the market for tackles. He is the 3rd highest paid LT in the league now and he sucks, that's insane. Other teams should be allowed to veto these contracts if they are this bad.

What? Why? That has to be one of the dumbest idea I have seen on this board.  (Which is hard, given one posters prolific generating of dumb ideas.

If a team wants to overpay that is their progitive.   It means they will have less money for other positions.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:41:36 pm »

What? Why? That has to be one of the dumbest idea I have seen on this board.  (Which is hard, given one posters prolific generating of dumb ideas.

If a team wants to overpay that is their progitive.   It means they will have less money for other positions.

I'm not actually serious about that but it does screw over the rest of the league. Now a good LT will want $19 Million a year if a bad one is getting $15 Million a year. No way will they accept less. Drew Brees getting paid doesn't screw up the pay structure or salary cap, bad players getting paid does.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:08 am »

The Dolphins have hurt themselves so many times by giving big contracts to free agents at the end of their careers or to free agents who were never that good to begin with.  So they always scare me with their Free Agent signings.  Wise free agent signings can be a big help.  But the operative term there is WISE free agent signings.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:20 am »

The Dolphins have hurt themselves so many times by giving big contracts to free agents at the end of their careers or to free agents who were never that good to begin with.  So they always scare me with their Free Agent signings.  Wise free agent signings can be a big help.  But the operative term there is WISE free agent signings.

We tend to give out huge deals to people who aren't good or guys we don't need. We gave so much money to Suh and he played very well but we had so many positions of need that it killed our cap and didn't help us. That's the kind of contract a 10 win team with cap space gives out to push them over the top, we need to avoid insane money deals this time.

You can win a lot of games by just having good players all over as opposed to 1 Pro Bowler and 3 scrubs.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 02:45:46 pm »

Jack Conklin was expected to sign with the Jets this afternoon but now they say he is expected to pass on them. Legally, they shouldn't even be negotiating right now but we all know that's nonsense.

Any rumors of players we are going after yet? Free agency starts the 18th and I really haven't heard a peep on anyone.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 03:43:49 pm »

We tend to give out huge deals to people who aren't good or guys we don't need. We gave so much money to Suh and he played very well but we had so many positions of need that it killed our cap and didn't help us. That's the kind of contract a 10 win team with cap space gives out to push them over the top, we need to avoid insane money deals this time.

You can win a lot of games by just having good players all over as opposed to 1 Pro Bowler and 3 scrubs.
It's easy to say this in hindsight. It's a lot tougher to project who will help and who won't before it happens.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 03:53:13 pm »

It's easy to say this in hindsight. It's a lot tougher to project who will help and who won't before it happens.

This be true.  But I would argue that you will have a better chance of improving the team by signing 3 midgrade players with moderate contracts than one player to a monster contract coming off a career year.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 11:44:25 am »

This be true.  But I would argue that you will have a better chance of improving the team by signing 3 midgrade players with moderate contracts than one player to a monster contract coming off a career year.

Yes, this is my point. Suh was very good for us but if we just made sure the rest of the line was average or slightly above average I feel like it would've led to more wins than one dominant player.

We don't need a LT and RT making $40 Million combined. Have everyone on the O-Line be a $10 Million a year player and we should be good.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 12:13:34 pm »

Joe Thuney was franchise tagged by the Patriots in a rare move for them. So, he is off the board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray