Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:12:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Give me Herbert over Tua.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Give me Herbert over Tua.  (Read 39284 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2020, 02:12:02 pm »

When I hear this I immediately think of Drew Brees and why we didn't think he would stand uo medically, or the reasons we passed on Brees to begin with. It also brings up how many reasons we had to pass up on Aarron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and many others. It seems like we find reason why not to draft QBs much better than we find reasons to draft one. The consensus is Burrow and Tua have what it takes to be successful if things work out. I have no issue with them drafting Tua as long as everything looks good. As long as we've sucked we simply cannot risk him going somewhere else and being successful.

Absolutely. He is too talented to pass up due to hypotheticals. Some people get better with new training staffs, new teams and some just grow out of being injured often. He is worth the risk, can't watch him go to 9 Pro Bowls as a Charger if we pass on him at #5. As much as any team can afford to miss on a Top 5 draft pick, we have the salary cap and draft capital where it won't end our franchise if he sucks or can't stay on the field.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2020, 02:35:11 pm »

He will never play a full season regardless of the uniform

Not only will he play a full season, he'll play multiple, screenshot this.

Let it be known that the only true clairvoyants on the planet call TDMMC their home... Wink

I personally think Tua will be fine...but I still remember thinking that Joe Toledo would be the savior of Miami's O-line.

Hmmm....  Undecided

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2020, 02:44:18 pm »

When I hear this I immediately think of Drew Brees and why we didn't think he would stand uo medically, or the reasons we passed on Brees to begin with. It also brings up how many reasons we had to pass up on Aarron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and many others. It seems like we find reason why not to draft QBs much better than we find reasons to draft one. The consensus is Burrow and Tua have what it takes to be successful if things work out. I have no issue with them drafting Tua as long as everything looks good. As long as we've sucked we simply cannot risk him going somewhere else and being successful.

Isn’t the reason you passed on Brees because you had a QB under contract that had just lead you to the top of the AFCE with an 11-5 record, so you weren’t really shopping for a QB, rather than injury concerns of Brees?

Was it a matter of passing on Aaron Rodgers or was it a matter of selecting a pro-bowl running back?

Was it a matter of passing on Matt Ryan or was it a matter of drafting an all pro tackle?

If Tau and Okudah are available at #5 and Miami takes a CB that isn’t illogical.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »

Isn’t the reason you passed on Brees because you had a QB under contract that had just lead you to the top of the AFCE with an 11-5 record, so you weren’t really shopping for a QB, rather than injury concerns of Brees?

Was it a matter of passing on Aaron Rodgers or was it a matter of selecting a pro-bowl running back?

Was it a matter of passing on Matt Ryan or was it a matter of drafting an all pro tackle?

If Tau and Okudah are available at #5 and Miami takes a CB that isn’t illogical.

No, it was very stupid to draft a Tackle over a potential franchise QB. It always was stupid.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2020, 04:42:58 pm »

No, it was very stupid to draft a Tackle over a potential franchise QB. It always was stupid.

I am not sure Oakland Raiders fans will agree that the smart move was to take a potential franchise QB rather than Joe Thomas or Charger fans will agree with the drafting of a potential franchise QB rather than Kyle Turley.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2020, 06:58:51 pm »

I am not sure Oakland Raiders fans will agree that the smart move was to take a potential franchise QB rather than Joe Thomas or Charger fans will agree with the drafting of a potential franchise QB rather than Kyle Turley.

Depends on who you have as QB currently. In 2008, we had Chad Pennington who was just cut by the Jets due to injuries. Instead of taking Matt Ryan, we took Jake Long and then took Chad Henne with the 57th pick. That was obviously a massive failure, more so now with hindsight but definitely at the time too.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:08 pm »

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that the talk about drafting Herbert or even Love is a smokescreen. This is not based on my own opinion on the QB's, but more on the history of the Dolphins with Grier and Flores leading them. Remember that it was these 2 guys that let a potential franchise LT leave because they were made an offer they couldn't refuse. Remember that it was these 2 guys that let a potential franchise safety leave because he was unhappy with his role on the team. Remember that it was these 2 guys that orchestrated the trade of their starting QB and instead picked up a washed up over the hill QB with 1 foot in retirement to lead the team because they would save millions in salary cap. Remember that it's these 2 guys that built the it doesn't take any talent wall and drilled it into the players heads during the season. Grier and Flores have been very consistent on 1 thing, there IS no 1 player that they have to have. Rather every player is simply a player to be coached up to their max potential. 1 player leaves and someone else has to step up into that person's shoes and fill them, end of story.

With that in mind lets come to the draft. The chances that Grier and Flores feel that any 1 QB is the one they have to have is very unlikely. Rather it's more likely they feel that they can take whomever is available at #5 in the draft and they'll coach him up to his max potential and he'll be just fine. In fact I think it's quite possible they don't even think they have to take a QB at #5, I think they believe if they have to use Fitzpatrick for another year and take another shot at a QB next year, that would work as well. It's not ideal, they would much rather take one of the top QB's in this draft and put him on the bench this year and get him learning the offense in Gailey's first year and with Fitzpatrick showing him the ropes, but if push came to shove, they could do it. Heck they might even think there's still hope for Rosen given more time.

No, I think they are being honest. They are not in love with any player and they're not going to just give up all those draft choices they stockpiled since they got here just to make sure they get that 1 player they can't live without. Sure they would love to take Tua if he's healthy and he's available, but if not they'll just take the best player available and they'll continue to coach up the players they have and that will be enough. It worked this past year and they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with other teams leftovers. You really think they don't think they can do a heck of a lot better with all those juicy draft choices available to them this year and next? I wouldn't count on it.

I think everyone needs to prepare themselves for the fact that Grier and Flores believe they are going to make it work no matter who they choose in the draft and they really don't care what the other teams think.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:57:20 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2020, 08:51:04 pm »

He will never play a full season regardless of the uniform
So not only do you think Tua is frail, you believe he is the most frail first-round QB in modern history.

Seriously, how many other QBs have never been healthy enough to complete ONE full season?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2020, 08:55:55 pm »

No.  MIA finished the 2005 season 2nd in the AFCE at 9-7 with Gus Frerotte under center.  Nick Saban had the choice to sign Drew Brees as a free agent, or trade for Daunte Culpepper (both were coming off of major injuries).  He chose the latter.

edit: Just to be clear, when talking about missing out on Drew Brees, I think most Dolphin fans are talking about the decision not to sign him as a free agent in 2005, not the decision to pass on him with their first-round pick in 2001 (Brees didn't have any injury concerns coming out of college).  Given his ultimate outcome with the team that drafted him, wishing that Brees's growing pains would have happened in MIA instead of SD doesn't seem very productive.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:37:16 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:32 am »

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that the talk about drafting Herbert or even Love is a smokescreen. This is not based on my own opinion on the QB's, but more on the history of the Dolphins with Grier and Flores leading them. Remember that it was these 2 guys that let a potential franchise LT leave because they were made an offer they couldn't refuse. Remember that it was these 2 guys that let a potential franchise safety leave because he was unhappy with his role on the team. Remember that it was these 2 guys that orchestrated the trade of their starting QB and instead picked up a washed up over the hill QB with 1 foot in retirement to lead the team because they would save millions in salary cap. Remember that it's these 2 guys that built the it doesn't take any talent wall and drilled it into the players heads during the season. Grier and Flores have been very consistent on 1 thing, there IS no 1 player that they have to have. Rather every player is simply a player to be coached up to their max potential. 1 player leaves and someone else has to step up into that person's shoes and fill them, end of story.

With that in mind lets come to the draft. The chances that Grier and Flores feel that any 1 QB is the one they have to have is very unlikely. Rather it's more likely they feel that they can take whomever is available at #5 in the draft and they'll coach him up to his max potential and he'll be just fine. In fact I think it's quite possible they don't even think they have to take a QB at #5, I think they believe if they have to use Fitzpatrick for another year and take another shot at a QB next year, that would work as well. It's not ideal, they would much rather take one of the top QB's in this draft and put him on the bench this year and get him learning the offense in Gailey's first year and with Fitzpatrick showing him the ropes, but if push came to shove, they could do it. Heck they might even think there's still hope for Rosen given more time.

No, I think they are being honest. They are not in love with any player and they're not going to just give up all those draft choices they stockpiled since they got here just to make sure they get that 1 player they can't live without. Sure they would love to take Tua if he's healthy and he's available, but if not they'll just take the best player available and they'll continue to coach up the players they have and that will be enough. It worked this past year and they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with other teams leftovers. You really think they don't think they can do a heck of a lot better with all those juicy draft choices available to them this year and next? I wouldn't count on it.

I think everyone needs to prepare themselves for the fact that Grier and Flores believe they are going to make it work no matter who they choose in the draft and they really don't care what the other teams think.

If they miss out on Tua then I think they will draft Herbert at #5. I no longer think they will trade down and acquire more picks. If somehow both Tua and Herbert are gone before we pick then all bets are off.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2020, 10:38:59 am »

Interesting point by Dave Hyde today ... . I’m ‘shocked’ that ‘sources’ are saying Tua Tagovailoa had a ‘positive’ medical report at the NFL combine. Absolutely shocked. Of course, the only people who typically talk in situations like this are Tua’s people. That’s not to say it’s untrue. It’s just to say what the teams are privately seeing and deciding typically won’t come to light until after the draft.

Lol ... with that said after the draft and especially after his pro day we are going to hear all the negatives about Tua from leaks around the league. I'm not saying they are true but anyone who wants him to drop will tear him down so others stay away.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:34 am »

Interesting point by Dave Hyde today ... . I’m ‘shocked’ that ‘sources’ are saying Tua Tagovailoa had a ‘positive’ medical report at the NFL combine. Absolutely shocked. Of course, the only people who typically talk in situations like this are Tua’s people. That’s not to say it’s untrue. It’s just to say what the teams are privately seeing and deciding typically won’t come to light until after the draft.

Lol ... with that said after the draft and especially after his pro day we are going to hear all the negatives about Tua from leaks around the league. I'm not saying they are true but anyone who wants him to drop will tear him down so others stay away.

I thought these reports came form "sources within the teams who saw his report"?

If we pass on Tua at #5, I think he is going to fall into the teens. Other teams will be very spooked how we passed on him after all the hype and planning. Shit, we may be able to select him at #18.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2020, 11:34:48 am »

Shit, we may be able to select him at #18.

Snap a million wishbones, toss thousands of pennies into the wishing well, light candles until they can be seen from space...and that still won't happen.

Tua will not make it past #6...period. Unless he dies in a freak weed-whacker accident between now and the draft, Miami will take him at #5, Chargers will take him at #6, or someone will trade up for him at one of those spots.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37:28 am »

Snap a million wishbones, toss thousands of pennies into the wishing well, light candles until they can be seen from space...and that still won't happen.

Tua will not make it past #6...period. Unless he dies in a freak weed-whacker accident between now and the draft, Miami will take him at #5, Chargers will take him at #6, or someone will trade up for him at one of those spots.

It would be incredibly unlikely but if we do pass on him at #5 I would be very surprised if he didn't fall out of the Top 10. We built our team and sacrificed a whole season rebuilding just for Tua, so for us to pass on him? That will spook everyone.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:17 am »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878167-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-buzz-for-every-nfl-team-at-2020-combine

Miami — You may have seen reports that the Miami Dolphins have concerns about Tua Tagovailoa. Don't believe those. One source I spoke with this week said "the Dolphins are going to get Tua" and mentioned it's classic smokescreen behavior to tell a team-friendly reporter they don't like Tua in hopes he falls to No. 5 overall. But I'm told the team is prepared to trade up for the Alabama quarterback, and owner Stephen Ross is fully on board with the selection.

I hope we don't trade up and he falls to us at 5

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray