Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:20:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Just tested positive
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Just tested positive  (Read 5805 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2022, 06:04:57 pm »

Maybe rather than forcing her to be uncomfortable, help her with counseling to develop social skills and confidence.  Why is it the extroverts are always imposing their lifestyle choice on others?  "No, I don't need to be more outgoing you need to quiet down and leave me alone" Should be the response.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 09:32:14 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 09:32:36 pm »

Thanks for your condescending parenting advice for a situation that you clearly don't understand.  You're coming on a little strong.

But it's not an either/or situation.  They have counseling and therapy.  She was adopted from an orphanage in another country where things aren't run like here, so she had stunted social growth, as well as multiple reconstructive oral surgeries.  And then 2 years of isolation with COVID, as she didn't go back to school until a fresh start to the year.  She was regressing socially.

(I accidentally edited your post but made no changes.)

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 07:22:23 am »

My niece liked wearing the mask so much that her mom had to disallow it after everyone got vaxxed, because she was using it as a way to hide.  She's introverted to the point that it's kinda like social anxiety and the mask mandate was the best thing that ever happened to her, but in a bad way.

Actually that is one of the reasons why conservatives wanted kids back in school and without face masks. It is detrimental to kids mental well being in the long run. 

We have friends that have a 10 year old daughter who could not speak or look at adults. She would whisper to her father and he would order for her which included her having to answer questions fom the wait staff. We kind of called them out and let them know they are hurting her in the long run by allowing her to to do that. Fast forward a year and she is doing a much better job of ordering food which also seems to be helping her in other ways. They are now pushing her to face her uncomfortable situations rather than hide and it seems to be helping. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 10:29:13 am »

Actually that is one of the reasons why conservatives wanted kids back in school and without face masks. It is detrimental to kids mental well being in the long run.

All of it is a balance.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 11:49:31 am »

Then I guess it's a happy coincidence that being anti-mask "for the children" also precisely lined up with cynical political gamesmanship: first in downplaying COVID while Trump was president, and later in opposing Biden and the Democrats as mask tyrants.  And I'm sure you might claim that Democrats are simply on the opposite side of the same game... except that we're just saying to do what medical professionals here and in every other developed country on the planet recommend.  But maybe the whole pandemic was a global conspiracy against Trump.

In any case, I think the millions of children who lost loved ones to COVID have suffered significantly more detriment to their mental well-being than introverts being able to cover part of their face in public.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 12:41:15 pm »

Then I guess it's a happy coincidence that being anti-mask "for the children" also precisely lined up with cynical political gamesmanship: first in downplaying COVID while Trump was president, and later in opposing Biden and the Democrats as mask tyrants. 

Oh, I 100% don't take our leadership here in good faith that their motivation was actually what was socially most healthy for children.

But there is definitely a balance between physical health vs. mental health with all of this stuff -- masking, lockdowns, distancing, etc.

To me, the solution would have been to require masking until enough time has passed for kids to get vaxxed, then remove the mandate, but keep general distancing practices.  Maybe require masking until you're at your desk.....some level of balance until kids vaccine was readily available.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 12:57:31 pm »

But the kind of "mental health" we're talking about here has nothing to do with mask mandates, since the kids in question WANT to wear a mask.

What we are talking about is adults forcing kids to take their mask off.  I leave the following two questions to the reader:

1) What kind of person is most likely to be telling someone else that is not their child to "Take off that mask"?
2) Does this person (who, again, is not the parent) has that child's best mental health interests at heart?

For me, these questions are easily answered.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 01:16:03 pm »

But the kind of "mental health" we're talking about here has nothing to do with mask mandates, since the kids in question WANT to wear a mask.

What we are talking about is adults forcing kids to take their mask off.  I leave the following two questions to the reader:

1) What kind of person is most likely to be telling someone else that is not their child to "Take off that mask"?
2) Does this person (who, again, is not the parent) has that child's best mental health interests at heart?

For me, these questions are easily answered.

I'll put freedom ahead of mental health any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 03:12:37 pm »

Ironic that you frame it in terms of "freedom," since the kids in question - the kids whose mental health is of concern to CF - are being forced to remove their mask.

I guess it's "freedom" for everyone who agrees with you and compliance for everyone who does not.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 03:35:28 pm »

Ironic that you frame it in terms of "freedom," since the kids in question - the kids whose mental health is of concern to CF - are being forced to remove their mask.

I guess it's "freedom" for everyone who agrees with you and compliance for everyone who does not.
LMAO ... parenting = forced = lack of feedom? You damn right. Kids are supposed to be "forced" to not do things that are harmeful to themsleves. That's the whole role of a parent until they are old and mature enough to make their own decsions.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 04:06:39 pm »

Kids are supposed to be "forced" to not do things that are harmeful to themsleves.
Careful, there... a person reading this might think you were in favor of schools forcing kids to wear masks that they don't want to wear, but we all know you desperately want to make sure THOSE kids have all the "freedom" they can get.

It's also weird that you're talking about parenting, since I specifically said - twice - that I was talking about adults who are not the child's parents.  I'm not talking about parents concerned with reclusive kids; I'm talking about conservative busybodies who supposedly care about "freedom," yet go around complaining about other people choosing to wear masks (say, while they're driving).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:09:37 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 05:00:10 pm »

Careful, there... a person reading this might think you were in favor of schools forcing kids to wear masks that they don't want to wear, but we all know you desperately want to make sure THOSE kids have all the "freedom" they can get.
It's as if you just ignore the whole mask thing should be the parents choice and NOT the government. The parent has the right to decide what is best for their child.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 05:37:14 pm »

It's as if you just ignore the whole mask thing should be the parents choice and NOT the government. The parent has the right to decide what is best for their child.

These are not black/white answers -- in general, yes, parents should choose over the government -- but in cases where your parenting decisions affect other people, we have to make group decisions together.  That's the basis of a shared society.

Or in cases where parents are scientifically wrong, I think it's reasonable for the government to step in.  Not in a rather benign situation like masking, but I don't that a parent should be able to deny a blood transfusion against generally accepted medical advice, for example.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2022, 05:44:04 pm »

Every single person posting in this thread has grown up in an era where we were required to get vaccinated before attending public school.  And prior to Donald Trump, none of you voiced any objection to the government forcing kids to get vaccinated.

A parent doesn't want their child to have to wear a mask at school?  Then a parent can choose to homeschool them.
Let freedom ring.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 09:22:08 pm »

These are not black/white answers -- in general, yes, parents should choose over the government -- but in cases where your parenting decisions affect other people, we have to make group decisions together.  That's the basis of a shared society.

Or in cases where parents are scientifically wrong, I think it's reasonable for the government to step in.  Not in a rather benign situation like masking, but I don't that a parent should be able to deny a blood transfusion against generally accepted medical advice, for example.
I can't say that I disagree with any of that.

Every single person posting in this thread has grown up in an era where we were required to get vaccinated before attending public school.  And prior to Donald Trump, none of you voiced any objection to the government forcing kids to get vaccinated.

A parent doesn't want their child to have to wear a mask at school?  Then a parent can choose to homeschool them.
Let freedom ring.
I'm typically not against vaccines but there have been enough "signs" to point that it is dangerous to a percentage of society. I survived Covid. It won't stop me from getting or giving Covid to others. Based on this information I choose not to get it regardless of Trump or whoever has said to get it. The "science" has always been fuzzy and when politicians pretend it keeps others safe for me to get it then I can't help but wonder what the end game is because it isn't truth. I know many(and I don't use that lightly) vaccinated people who infected their spouse, parents and/or friends.   

Seems kind of odd you allude to Trump being a cause for people not to get it when he has gotten it as well as the boosters and even called out people like DeSantis for not disclosing their choice. He's on your side of this ... hahaha I know several Obama/Biden supporters who choose not to get it and you probably do too. Maybe not though as you are in California.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray